Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Strange output to .db file

Quote Reply
Strange output to .db file
Hi All,

I'm configuring DBMan for use as a database to store presentations for a large library. All was going well, until recently. I was vexed by the infamous $db_userid "feature", but I found the FAQ here and fixed the problem (and felt pretty stupid, too).

Now, though, I have a problem which I cannot make heads or tails of. I can submit records to the database, but for some reason, instead of using the pipe character (|), the script uses four tilde characters (~~~~) to separate each record. And worse, it places two tidles (~~) between each character in the record!

It looks like this:

~~~~H~~i~~g~~h~~ ~~S~~c~~h~~o~~o~~l~~/~~P~~S~~O~~~~B~~l~~a~~H~~~~~~~~~~~~~~G~~r~~a~~d~~u~~a~~t~~e~~ ~~S~~t~~u~~d~~e~~n~~t~
~s~~~~2~~4~~-~~M~~a~~r~~-~~1~~9~~9~~9~~~~1~~.~~5~~~~.~~5~~~~Y~~E~~S~~S~~S~~S~~ ~~(~~I~~ ~~t~~h~~i~~n~~k~~!~~)~~~~1~~2~~~~S
~~t~~a~~f~~f~~~~G~~e~~n~~e~~r~~a~~l~~ ~~B~~i~~b~~l~~i~~o~~g~~r~~a~~p~~h~~i~~c~~~~a~~d~~m~~i~~n~

Instead of something more like this:

1|Specific Class|POLS| |101|Smith, Earl| | | |admin| |01-Jan-1999|50|Undergraduates|2|2

Any ideas? I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this one out.

Luke

[This message has been edited by Look (edited July 29, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Strange output to .db file In reply to
i'm assuming you have already dont this, but it was the only thing i could think of.
have you made sure in your .cfg file that the delimiter is set correctly? it should be set to "|" by default, unless you have changed it for some reason. look for this line:

# Database delimeter.
$db_delim = '|';

hope this helps.

chuck
Quote Reply
Re: Strange output to .db file In reply to
Whoa! Thanks for the heads up...It seems that I "accidentally" deleted a significant portion of the .cfg file...Including the database delimiter! Oops. *shakes head*

This is why parallel debuggine is a good thing.

Thanks.

Luke