Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Some Odd Questions :) Part 4!

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Some Odd Questions :) Part 4!
Wow, another thread. Smile

So, how the heck did you do that with your DB? That category mod or something?

Chris Smile
Quote Reply
Re: Some Odd Questions :) Part 4! In reply to
Nope. Just using the relational mod.

Sorry about the problems with adding. I hadn't finished things, but I thought I'd let you take a look at what I had so far.

The "default" database is teams. I have a separate html_record type subroutine for the players list. That's really all there is to it.

Do you want the files I have now or do you want me to play with them a little more?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Carol,

Uh, I suppose I could use the files now...do you think I can handle it? IE: is there some complicated aspects to it which I may not understand?

If I understand correctly, there's a teams DB, a links one (which stores the html for the rosters pages), the the players DB, which is connected to the roster one by the links...

I'll go with whatever you think will cause the least confusion! Smile

Chris
Quote Reply
Let me do a little bit more so you can actually add things to the database. Smile

At this point, the databases are

default: holds the team info
player: holds the player info
hitting: holds the hitting stats
(pitching: holds the pitching stats -- not done)
links: holds the links

I envision other databases to hold things like awards and world series stats. Possibly also managers, feats and records, but the managers might go into the players and the feats and records might go into awards.

Let me see what I can do to clean it up a little today.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Carol,

Sounds cool! Will I have the option of renaming some of them to make it less confusing? Like "default" to "teams" or something like that? Smile

By the way, this is all very impressive! I still have no idea how this was all done though! Smile

Chris
Quote Reply
The reason I made the teams the "default" database was so you could start with the teams list without having to specify which database you were using.

I can change that, if you want.

I got sidetracked, but I'll see what I can do now and get back to you.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
It would makes things less confusing...doesn't matter how long the URL is, I'll probably just be linking to it or having a redirectional script pointing there.

Chris Smile
Quote Reply
I'm back! (was away thoughout parts of Saturday)...anything new? Smile

Chris
Quote Reply
Wow, this is cool! Message board is taking some time to get used to, though! :)

Anything new Carol? I'm at your command! :)

Chris

Quote Reply
Sorry, Chris. I got kinda sidetracked over the weekend. Minor things like making sure I continued to have a roof over my head. Smile

I'll get back to work on your stuff as soon as I get caught up.

Quote Reply
Ack! I'm sorry if I was a bit rude! Glad you're still with us though!

Quote Reply
Not at all, Chris. I understand that you are anxious to get your site up and running.

Quote Reply
But still, I was out of line. I've seen other people become a bit too rude and forceful despite your generosity, and I don't want to be like that.

I really appreciate what you've done for me so far. I'm still trying to figure out what to get you :) And as usual, I'll continue to recommend DBMan to everyone I know! :)

Chris

Quote Reply
I don't really want to argue with you, but I don't think you were out of line. Smile I do forget things sometimes -- one of the hazards of getting older.

I got some more done on your database -- http://www.jpdeni.com/cgi-bin/Chris/db.cgi for logging in and http://www.jpdeni.com/...s/db.cgi?uid=default for a default user. I changed the teams database to "teams" and added a new dummy default.cfg file. There are no associated .db files or anything else, it's just a master database login thing. Well, you'll see when you get there.

Still lots of work to be done, but it's getting there.

JPD
Quote Reply
Carol,

Okay, I won't argue! As long as everyone's cool :)

Database looks great! Although I don't understand the links right at first...the Players/Teams/Links thing...but I'm sure you know way more about it than I do! :)

I'm somewhat confused as to where everything is right now...whatcha shooting for anyway? :) The DB looks fabulous to me! :) Is there a bug I'm missing or something?

I logged in as an admin, seems I cant modify or add or anything, but I'm not complaining! I know its all in progress.

I guess I'm just a control freak, like to know whats going on :)

Quote Reply
Smile Basically, I wanted to know if this was a direction you wanted to go in.

Did you try to add a link or a player that was associated with the team? Those should work.

I'll keep doing some work on it. I forgot to add the field in the teams database that would allow you to connect to previous "incarnations" of the team. I'll do that after dinner and tv tonight.

This is pretty complicated, since there's so much stuff that you have -- especially things that are interconnected.

Oh, one question I wanted to ask. Are you interested in adding any info about the minor league teams? Or just the links to the sites for the minors?

JPD
Quote Reply
Carol,

Uh, I think I'm starting to understand (not sure though!)

I wasn't planning on adding any Minor Leauge info, and anything I might add in the future I'm TOTALLY sure I can handle on my own!

Seems to me you're trying to database ALL team areas, links, roster, etc...but honestly I dont think I need that. All I've really wanted was something that pulled the player info from the players DB we made last time and displayed it in that roster page...IE, if I changed a players' team or info, it would change on the roster as well.

I think I could handle the rest of the team stuff on my own...I'm sure I can setup a teams DB on my own, it would just have links to the default URLs of the other DBs...I can setup any other sections, like the links one, on my own...I'd just use a seperate DB for each and link them together. It's just the pulling info from one DB to another that stumps me...

I don't want you to do anymore than necessary! So many people are vying for your valuable time! :)

I still feel as if something is clouded, if you're not sure what I mean let me know...I've had trouble putting it into words...

Chris

Quote Reply
Okey-dokey. (I know that I have to stop working on this, but it's kinda fun. Smile)

Let me put some more touches on there so you can see more what I'm doing. After that, I'll put the files in .txt format on my site and you can pick them all up.

If I've done more than you want, feel free to delete anything. Once I get started it's hard to stop. Smile

JPD
Quote Reply
Chris--

I realized that I need to know exactly what your fields are in your players database. Could you list your fields and give me a sample record? Then I'll be able to just give you what you need for your roster.

JPD
Quote Reply
Carol,

Haha, I know what you mean. These databases are all very useful, but lets face it, we also do it for the "dbman high" you get when something finally works the way you'd envisioned all along! :)

Chris

Quote Reply
Carol,

Sorry for the delay. I'm not sure if I understand the question, but here's the URL (admin/admin):

http://www.warningtrack.net/cgi-bin/stats/db.cgi?db=players

Quote Reply
What I need is for you to post (here on the forum) a list of the fields in your player database -- you can post the @db_def section of your players .cfg file, if you want -- and one record from the player.db file. I need to know the names of the fields and the type of data that is in those fields in order to continue.

JPD
Quote Reply
Sorry for the delay (let me know if I got anything wrong, here :))

db_def fields:

Code:
'PlayerID' => [ 0, 'numer', 5, 255, 1, '', ''],
'RosterID' => [ 1, 'alpha', 5, 255, 1, '', ''],
'First' => [ 2, 'alpha', 30, 255, 1, '', ''],
'Last' => [ 3, 'alpha', 30, 255, 1, '', ''],
'Position' => [ 4, 'alpha', 30, 255, 1, '', ''],
'Team' => [ 5, 'alpha', 0, 21, 1, '', ''],
'Jersey' => [ 6, 'alpha', 3, 255, 1, '', ''],
'Height' => [ 7, 'alpha', 5, 255, 1, '', ''],
'Weight' => [ 8, 'alpha', 5, 255, 1, '', ''],
'Batting' => [ 9, 'alpha', 0, 6, 1, '', ''],
'Throwing' => [ 10, 'alpha', 0, 5, 1, '', ''],
'Birthdate' => [ 11, 'alpha', 30, 255, 1, '', '']
Thats from the players.cfg file...

Here are links to a hitter record and a pitcher record...or do you need me to post each of their fields here?

Hitter: http://www.warningtrack.net/...=2&nh=5&mh=1

Pitcher:http://www.warningtrack.net/...=2&nh=1&mh=1

Chris

Quote Reply
Hey Carol, was away for awhile...

Anything new? Did I post all the info you needed me to?

Quote Reply
Sorry. I didn't see your last post. I don't know why.

What I need from the players database is exactly how the team name is entered. Is it

Boston Red Sox
Red Sox
BOS
Boston

I know it says "Boston Red Sox" on the page, but that doesn't mean that's what is in your record.

If I could just get one player's record from the player .db file, I'd have what I need.

JPD
> >