Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Signup Verification and approval

Quote Reply
Signup Verification and approval
This is a post similar to the one posted below. I wish a signup MOD to include following features;

1) A prospective member should be able to sign-up online
2) Upon selecting to signup, the user should be presented with signup form which may includes lot of things such as his Personal / Business Info etc. and also he should be able to select username and password of his choice
3) Once he submits all the above information, he should not be sent login info by email, Instead, he should wait for the approval ny the admin
4) The Admin (Say Accounts Manager) then sees the list of users awaiting approval and approves/denies the membership depending on the information, the user has submitted. In some cases Admin may go to an extent of physical verification such as Phone Enquiry etc.
5) While Running the Site, Admin should be able to Lock/Unlock the members. (There are reasons for such requirement from time to time such as non compliance, Non payment etc)

JPD, are you listening ? Smile

Regards

Vijay
Quote Reply
Re: Signup Verification and approval In reply to
As far as I can see, you can do all of this outside of the DBMan programme.
Simply create an HTML page and get the information sent to you by using formmail (a well known script in Matts script archive. Most ISPs seem to offer this on their servers, anyway.)
This way all the information you could possibly want will be emailed to you enabling you to allocate user IDs and passwords as you wish.

It works for me!

If your ISP does not include this script in your cgi-bin directory, you can download it and install it on the server yourself.

David Olley
Anglo & Foreign International Limited,
Winchester
England
Quote Reply
Here a thread which provides another alternative for admin approval. It should provide you with ideas:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum12/HTML/002388.html

Hope this helps

Quote Reply
If the suggestions here don't give you what you need, I'll put it on my mod list to write. There are about 15 mods ahead of you.

JPD
Quote Reply
Hi davidolley, LoisC & JP Deni,

Thanks for your replies.

As far as possible I don't want to go in for anything outside DBMAN. In fact currently I am using a script acalled BNBForm which is similar to FormMail but does much more than that. Idea here is not to have the whole system in bits and pieces but rather integrated appropach.

I went through the thread LiosC mentioned but, What I need is much more specific. Infact I need a program which is similar to Accounts Manager Script. Approval/Denial is an essence but also Lock/Unlock, massmail, Individual mail etc should be the features

I think it will be good idea JPD, to include this 16th MOD in the wish-list Smile

Regards

Vijay
Quote Reply
What's the Accounts Manager script?

JPD
Quote Reply
"Accounts Manager" is a script by Elite CGI Script Center and can be found at

http://cgi.elitehost.com/acctman/

Of course it is for different purpose and uses different method, The concept wise it provides good control of the members accounts. I think one can consider the features that it offers to incorporate while designing a Accounts Manager for Members only site.

I pesonally feel that you can write a MOD by which one does not have to depend or marry some other external script for Accounts Management

Thanks

Regards

Vijay
Quote Reply
If I'm understanding correctly what you are saying, DBMan already does have these capabilities.

If you use the validation mod you can approve listing before they are visible to others. As admin you can always have permissions to modify or delete the records, or change the status of being validated or not.

And from the Admin functions you can change permissions, passwords, delete the user, etc.

I use Accounts Manager on one of my sites, and I think DBMan has much better control over memberships.

Are you using the validation mod?

Quote Reply
The thing DBMan doesn't have now is an approval of the user signing up. Either the user gets access immediately through the signup form or the admin must add the user.

I understand now what he wants. It's on the list. Smile

JPD
Quote Reply
Hi JPD,

You got me correctly !

I am looking forward to the MOD whenever it comes. I will immidiately jump on it I bet !

Thanks

Regards

Vijay
Quote Reply
Re: [JPDeni] Signup Verification and approval In reply to
In Reply To:
The thing DBMan doesn't have now is an approval of the user signing up. Either the user gets access immediately through the signup form or the admin must add the user.

I understand now what he wants. It's on the list. Smile

JPD

sorry about digging up an old thread, but has the mod come to service? ive tried looking.. but couldnt find it??
Quote Reply
Re: [Warp] Signup Verification and approval In reply to
The only thing I came up with in the FAQ (brief search) was the thread reference:

Approval prior to adding a record to the database
george - March 18, 2000

This provides ideas but not a full solution. I think someone did come up with a way of doing this, but I didn't locate a thread by searching for "approval" or "pending" in the forum.

JPDeni became ill and didn't get to complete her list of mods she was writing :(

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Signup Verification and approval In reply to
In Reply To:

JPDeni became ill and didn't get to complete her list of mods she was writing :(

Thats not good (that she was/is ill)

However I have found what I really wanted (JPDeni secure password lookup), ill worry about the other some other time.

thanks for the reply,

have a Happy New Year