Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Yes, a new problem...

Quote Reply
Yes, a new problem...
Hello,

till recently i has 1 emailadres, where if you send an email to, you got an automated reply (.vacation function)

But now I need 2 emailadresses, and I only have 1 pop-box available,so my question is,
where can i find a good script that reads the To: field of the email,and depending of that reply's with an text and logt the emailadres.
So i can alsow make an automated subscribe@ and unsubscribe@ script!
Quote Reply
Re: Yes, a new problem... In reply to
Let me see, for the first part, this is not something PERL will do for you unless you forward your mail into a program and allow it to process the header information for you. I have no practical experience in designing such a program, but I am almost positive it exists.

Even if you did have such a program, you would still have to setup a way for the mail from the second account to be put into your primary account. By far, the easiest way to do this is to setup an email alias so that email is redirected to your pop box. You can then use your email program to simply redirect to a folder. You would have to have access to files on your system or have additional email aliasing setup for you by a UNIX admin on your server. Some do this for free, many do not.

I am not sure what you mean by an automated subscribe/unsubscribe function. If you are refering to a subscription list like MajorDomo or ListServ, you would have to work with your service provider to see if these items are enabled. If you are refering to a process which would allow a user to email a specific address to get subscribed to say a Links newsletter/updates list, this is more complicated, but is basically a modified MailList subscription. As stated before it would also require an email alias to the script so that the incoming message could be processed. If you are thinking of some other functionality, if it has to do with email, its been thought of and done before, just a matter of finding a way to do it yourself.

------------------
Fred Hirsch
Web Consultant & Programmer