Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Word to Wise: Hardware: Memory Upgrade

Quote Reply
Word to Wise: Hardware: Memory Upgrade
I am not a hardware guy, so it makes perfect sense that even doing simple things (to those who are hardware gurus) leads to disaester....

I bought a new computer back in April (after 5 years of using this old slow - Pentium I, 64 MG Ram, Windows 95, that I am now using to post this advise thread), which is a Dell Dimension 4550 (Pentium IV,2.53 Ghz, 256 MG Ram, Windows XP).

Welp, I've installed a bunch of applications, like WebTrends 8.0, that require at least 512 MG Ram and also I am planning on setting up a home network (no, not with this old piece of *&^%, but a new laptop that I am planning on purchasing in January 2004 or soonthereafter), so I thought, hey, I have to memory module slots and can have a max of 1.0 Gigs of Ram, so why not install two 512 MG memory modules...so, I went down to CompUSA, bought two modules that I thought would work (DDR) with my Dell.

Welp, got home...all excited...but didn't check the exact current memory module configurations (which is PC2700U, and the modules I bought were for PC2100 and PC2600 systems...see the horror coming?)...

So, I opened up the casing, put in one of the modules in the second slots, attempting to upgrade one module at a time. Plug computer back in and it starts by itself, no monito, and USB ports don't work. So I took out the 512 MG Ram module and plugged the computer back in with only the existing 256 MG module, the computer started on its own, no monitor, no USB ports working, and the thing started beeping at me. I then replace the 256 MG module with the other 512 MG module, did the same thing, plugged computer back and it started by itself, still no monitor and USB ports

The long and short of it is that I did something to either the mother board and/or processor (thank goodness it's under warranty)..some advice:

1) Double check your memory modules to make sure that newer modules match the type of module that your system requires (like PCXXXX, DDR, etc.).

2) Wear protective hand guards to avoid any static electricity (which is probably what I caused without wearing any hand guards).

3) While the manufacturer's (like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) prices on things like memory may be more expensive...buy those parts through the manufacturer directly...saving a buck can cost you more later sometimes...ugh!

Anyway, hope this helps other geeks who are not hardware adept....haha!

Also, if anyone has some good advice of discharging electrical static before working the motherboard, let me know, please...because I really thought I had done that...but probably not using the best method.

Thanks....off to get another cup of coffee, walk the dog, and eat dinner while this post is submitted...god, I hate dialup...can't wait to get back on my Dell with Satellite connection, even with it's latency issues, it is 50 times faster than this piece of *&^% connection rate (28.8 kbps).
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Word to Wise: Hardware: Memory Upgrade In reply to
Quote:
Also, if anyone has some good advice of discharging electrical static before working the motherboard, let me know, please...because I really thought I had done that...but probably not using the best method.

Anti static bands? We used to use them when I worked in a computer shop. You just put a band around your wrist, and then connect it to a rubber mat (floor and table are linked), and it gets rid of all the static :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!