Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Comm Loosing Connection to MtSQL

Quote Reply
Comm Loosing Connection to MtSQL
I have recently started to have a real problem with Comm connection to MySQL. It keeps losing the connection to MySQL. I have two "Links-Forum-Comm" installs, and both seem to work just fine, EXCEPT for the lower-traffic install's Comm-install. That one fairly reglularly loose the connection.

This happens a lot when users are Verifying their e-mail. I have also had it happen to me in the Admin, updating users.

What I have done so far is to change the user to the same user as on the other Comm install. (Both those comms are on the same server.) This did not seem to help. Both "Links-Forum-Comm" isntalls are on the same server- I have one front server for BOTH, and one Back server for each install. Both connect to the same MySQL server.

I am not sure where to even start to trouble-shoot this. ANy hints would be appreciated!

Dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Comm Loosing Connection to MtSQL In reply to
Hi,

What error message do you see? What do you mean by "losing the connection"?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Comm Loosing Connection to MtSQL In reply to
Hi Alex: I was getting a 500 error, usually when people were validating their accounts. I have tried a couple times, but I cannot get it to error out for me now. I beleive it showed some error to a GT Comm module, then was followed by a "Lost Communication with MySQL server" or some such language. I look at the MySQL stats, and currently I show:

Failed attempts 2 0.04 0.00 %

Aborted 38,302 792.98 11.00 %

Total 348,179 7,208.47 100.00 %

failed attempts, only 2, so no big deal- but 11% Aborted concerns me- should I be concerned with numbers like that? BTW, MySQL has been up 2 days, 4 hours with those stats... Dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase

Last edited by:

carfac: May 25, 2006, 8:28 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Is the database server on the same machine or a seperate machine?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Sorry- different- but both are behind the same router....
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Hi Dave,

I'd check network issues first. Is the link saturated? Are you seeing dropped packets? Any other network layer issues that might cause dropped connections?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
OK, sorry for the delay. I have the exact error message now:

Code:

Can't call method "fetchrow_hashref" on an undefined value at /hd2/web/c/comics/private/lib/Community.pm line 192. GT::SQL::error => Failed to execute query: 'SELECT * FROM comm_users WHERE comm_username = ?': Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Does that help pinpoint where or why this might be happening?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Hi Dave,

I'm afraid not. It just means that when Community was executing that simple query, the connection to the MySQL server got killed. That aborted connections number is very high, I'm showing only 12 in 19 days up on our server. I'd check the network connections first between the two servers, maybe a bad switch.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Maybe a new switch then... I show, 13 days up, 16 Failed, but 156,000 Aborted (about 6.5%)
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Anny suggestions for a Good switch? I think I am using a Linksys...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Is it managed? Can you see stats on it?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
No, just a little consumer jobby.... got it at CompUSA.... It is GigaBit, though....
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase

Last edited by:

carfac: Jun 22, 2006, 9:51 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Well, if only your one server accesses the database server, it might be worth just using a cross over cable instead (assuming the servers have two nic's). That would at least eliminate any chance of it being a network issue.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
My ISP lent me a 24 port 10/100/1000 Cisco, and I just hooked that in. Numbers are SLIGHTLY better, but in one hoiur up (so far) 4.62% aborted...

I changed all the cabling, too, just ion case. All new, high qulaity cables.

Dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase