Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

edit files when files are uploades with WS_FTP

Quote Reply
edit files when files are uploades with WS_FTP
Hi,
all my files are uploaded with the program WS_FTP. I can list all files with "Fileman", but i can't save edited files. I always get the error message that i do not have the permission. If i upload the files with "fileman" i do not have any problems to edit or save edited files. What am i doing wrong?

Quote Reply
Re: edit files when files are uploades with WS_FTP In reply to
i'm just taking a stab at this, but possibly proper permissions may be whats causing this to happen.
i've had zero problems with this software except for not being able to upload more than one file at a time.
hope that helped.

Quote Reply
I have the exact same problem. If I try to FTP a file from my local computer the folder I have fileman set to manage, I get permission error. But I can edit the file with fileman.

Quote Reply
Me too, exactly the same problem.

<a href="http://freebanners.xrs.net">Free Banners</a> - Promote Your Website for Free!
Quote Reply
I believe it is because the ownership of the files changes to the ftp username and so fileman won't have permission to edit the files.

Paul Wilson.
Installations:
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
Because when you are using the Fileman, it's using the Webserver account, (if apache, user usually www) . On the other hand, via ftp, users are most likely connecting as 'anonymous' or different username. Even though both or all users has write permission to the directory, they do not have the permission to replace each others file. For example, ftp user (usually ftp has no right to replace www users file and vice versa).

I am curious to know if there's a way to workaround this situation also... (don't care for 777)

Quote Reply
I've installed Fileman v2 Beta with WS_FTP and now I can't delete any of the files! It says I don't have permission. Never had this problem with any other files.

The script doesn't work properly, so I would like to delete it and start from scratch.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Litmania.com Inc.
http://WebsiteBanners.cjb.net - promote your site for free
Quote Reply
If there is a solution, could someone please help us out?

I have the similar problems with the multi-user fileman (version 1.0). It would be virtually impossible for me to change permissions on every file uploaded by hundreds of users.

Thanks,
Jerry

Quote Reply
Your server more than likely runs scripts as the nobody user. If the fileman install set the permissions on the files so that you can't delete them you will need to contact your host support to get them removed. I had this same problem with GossamerMail and I had to find a host that uses suexec. If you have a control panel with some type of file manager, you can try deleteing the files with that too.

Jerry: The multi version fileman creates all the files as the nobody user or as you if the server uses suexec. you should be able to delete them unless the permissions were changed so that you can't. It doesnt not create files as seperate users. I'm not sure if that was what you were asking or not.

Regards,
Charlie

Quote Reply
Thanks Charlie, but the problem is when using FTP, not the uploader provided with the multi-user version.

Files transfered to a server via FTP cannot be deleted via FileMan without ownership being changed. If there is a solution to this, I would be very grateful!

Jerry Jasuta

Quote Reply
Re: [JerryJ] edit files when files are uploades with WS_FTP In reply to
Did anyone find a resolution to this? Seemed to be quite a few people with the same problem...

Only way to edit files with Fileman 2.0 is to change permissions to something like 777 using an FTP program or other file manager.