Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
moving Links 2
I had Links 2 installed for me about 2 years ago. I know nothing about cgi-bin or perl, but now I want to move Links to another server.
Can I just download it and then upload it to the other server?
I tried downloading the files in ASCII mode and zipping them to send to the new server, but that didn't really work at all <sigh>.

If not, and I have to reinstall it, can I at least copy/move the databases? I have nearly 6,000 links that I really, really don't want to lose.
Can anybody help me, please?

Mandy
Quote Reply
Re: [Librarian] moving Links 2 In reply to
There are many posts here about moving Links.

Basically, download (FTP) all the cgi-bin files, and your CSS file from the WWW part of your server. You will not need all the WWW directories and pages created BY links, as they will be re-created.

Upload (FTP) the files to your new server, and make changes in links.cfg file to reflect the new paths/URLs. That should do it...

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] moving Links 2 In reply to
Okay, I had already copied the files and moved them, but I don't know how to modify the links.cfg file. I have opened it in Word and looked at it, and I can see where the paths are.
I only know html; I use Notepad to edit that. What do I use to edit a .cfg file?
Quote Reply
Re: [Librarian] moving Links 2 In reply to
Wordpad is OK, but don't use Word, as it may add/alter things, some which are not noticable but cause problems. The .cfg file can be edited the same as any other, it stands for configuration, and is just to make it easy to find. This page has a bit of info on that file: http://linksresource.com

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie