Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

Windows and Directories and Permissions, Oh My!

Quote Reply
Windows and Directories and Permissions, Oh My!
Although I have installed numerous cgi scripts on Unix servers, this is my first time installing on a Windows server. I didn't know they were so different.Shocked So far I've learned that I can't change file permissions myself using an FTP client, like I can on a Unix server. So, after I uploaded all the Links files in their appropriate places, I requested that permissions be changed by the server's tech support person. I was told that "the data directory is the only directory that has write permissions." The "data" directory referred to is in the root directory, not the "data" directory of the Links program. I was also told: "you cannot create a /data/ directory within another directory of your account. The only /data/ directory that you can write to is in your root directory."

So, now I'm confused. Crazy If I can't have a writable "data" directory at cgi-bin/links/admin/data -- how does Links work on a Windows server? Are there separate installations instructions for Windows servers somewhere that I didn't see? I tried searching these forums but perhaps I'm not searching with the right keywords.

Pardon my ignorance here. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: [chery] Windows and Directories and Permissions, Oh My! In reply to
Update: I inquired with tech support about this again and was told that "Only the /data directory in the root directory that comes with the account can write permissions' and in order for this script to work I'd have to "rewrite the cgi scripts to look in the right place for what it needs to do." Huh???
Quote Reply
in other words, only one directory on your entire domain can be writable, and that directory cannot have subdirectories with write permissions as well?

Get a new host. Seriously! There's no excuse for that kind of restriction whatsoever.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Windows and Directories and Permissions, Oh My! In reply to
Yes -- that's correct. Only the pre-existing "data" dirctory in the root directory has write permissions and I can't create any others.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to switch hosts, as much as I'd like to. I'm taking over as web designer of this site and I think the customer, who is innocently ignorant of how all this works, would be stressed out about moving it.
Quote Reply
Well, I'm working on modifying the script to use the pre-existing "data" directory. I'm making progress, but. . .

I'm getting the "unable to open home page" error. The permissions of the directory and page where the links are to be built is 777, according to the instructions. Is that correct?

Last edited by:

chery: Feb 18, 2004, 9:05 AM