Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

This just doesn't make sense!!

Quote Reply
This just doesn't make sense!!
I have two old Links 2.0 installations that I copied from my Unix machine to a Win2K/IIS 5/ActivePERL 5.1.6/631 server.

Both installations are located in the same CGI-BIN directory and both have the same file/folder permissions, etc., etc.

One of them works perfectly fine. The other will not add new links from the admin.cgi script although everything else including adding new categories works fine!

The error message I get is: 'e:\mlc\cgi-bin\docs_online\admin\admin.pl' script produced no output

I have tried everything I can think of:
1. gave Everyone, IUSR, IWAM, Administrators, SYSTEM, etc. FULL CONTROL of the entire docs_online folder and made sure that "Allow inheritable permissions ..." was selected. I know this is a major security risk, but I am getting desparate!
2. copied the entire admin folder and contents from the working version to the problem one and changed the settings in links.cfg
3. used full paths in all require statements
4. tried different path formats: backslashes, forward slashes, double backslashes, etc., etc.
5. tried/checked every thread on every forum in this site for ideas

Currently, I'm in the process of trying to install Links 2.0 from scratch.

Any ideas anyone?

ks
Quote Reply
Re: [kirks] This just doesn't make sense!! In reply to
Well, I got it working for a little while! The problem was the links.db file contained links with ID numbers out of order. When the admin.cgi was used to edit links, it appears to have gotten some of them out of order.

The linksid.txt had a number of 153 when it should have been 209. Once I manually edited those files and saved them, I could add links with out the error.

Unfortunately, after I closed admin.cgi and opened it again, the error message has come back. The links.db file is okay but the linksid.txt file is 153 when it should be 210.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Seems like there was a thread about this 3 years ago when I first started using Links 2.0 on my Unix box.

Since this doesn't appear to be a Windows issue, I'm going to post this in the Links 2.0 Discussion forum also. I'd still appreciate an answer here if any one knows why.

ks
Quote Reply
Re: [kirks] This just doesn't make sense!! In reply to
You could try manually changing the ID when adding a new link. The script should then write the correct figure to linksid.txt and start working correctly (assuming there's not a configuration problem somewhere).

Be aware that clicking on "Add Link", but not actually adding a link can still advance the link counter.
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] This just doesn't make sense!! In reply to
Sorry I forgot to post the answer. I finally got it working Cool but it has been so long that I don't remember what I did to fix it Unsure.