Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

Sendmail on NT - SMTP

Quote Reply
Sendmail on NT - SMTP
Hi, I read across this forum and already tried some possible suggestions for sending email on a Windows NT server. With no luck ...

I managed to install Links NT and all is working fine, I just want this last also working. please help.

blat.exe is no option as I've learned from the forum. That's why I'm using SMTP instead. The problem is that when I use my smtp server settings (f.e. mail.mydomain.com) the only emails actually send are those to my own domain (f.e. info@mydomein.com)

When links tries to send mail to another email address it comes with the following error:

Error Message : Unable to send rejection message. Reason:
Script Location : C:\Inetpub\hafabra\html\cgi-bin\links\admin\admin.pl
Perl Version : 5.006

Is this something I have to change in the scripts or is this a problem I must ask my provider (maybe change smtp permissions). please help me out. (sorry for my bad english)

Quote Reply
Re: Sendmail on NT - SMTP In reply to
In Reply To:
Is this something I have to change in the scripts or is this a problem I must ask my provider (maybe change smtp permissions). please help me out. (sorry for my bad english)
You need to check with your ISP/Hosting Company to find out what configurations you need to use for SMTP.

Most SMTP servers are set-up to execute based on your individual domain address, like the following:

Code:

yourdomain.com

So, you would use the following:

Code:

$db_smtp_server = 'yourdomain.com';

Some SMTP servers have a special SUB-domain naming convention, like the following:

Code:

smtp.yourdomain.com

OR

Code:

mail.yourdomain.com

So, you would use the following:

Code:

$db_smtp_server = 'smtp.yourdomain.com';

OR

Code:

$db_smtp_server = 'mail.yourdomain.com';

Also, you need to "turn-off" the $db_mail_path by simply using:

Code:

$db_mail_path = '';

OR to make double sure that it is not being referenced in your scripts, use the following:

Code:

#$db_mail_path = '';

But, the best thing to do is CONTACT your PROVIDER and ask them what the EXACT SMTP configurations are you need to use.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
thanks for your reply !!

I'm using in fact the settings you've just suggested & checked with my provider:
$db_smtp_server = 'mail.yourdomain.com'; AND
$db_mail_path = ''; turned off.

but no luck ...

Quote Reply
Benne,
Let me know when you solve this problem i have just installed links 2.0 on a NT server but the only email that works are the one's on the smpt server. feel free to email @ sjakes20@aol.com maybe we can work together on this problem.

Quote Reply
Ah... After reading this thread, the first question that came to mind was, "Is he trying to send mails via his ISP or host?" In my case, I stayed 'in-house.' I think you're going to have to use the mail server on your web host [only]. Doesn't this make sense?

The script executes on your web server, so I'd stay in the system. You might be able to go outside it, but I would think you're going to need a better path than 'mail.whatever.com'

SMTP servers usually work on, like, port 25 and most ISP's have it blocked, authed, PWed and so on, to prevent spamming. Anyway, it's just a thought. RU trying to get it to work on your host's mail server or your ISP's?

Quote Reply
Hmm... second thought. I couldn't find a file called admin.pl. Do you mean admin_html.pl?

Quote Reply
SMTP is not password protected...Sendmail programs do have password protection enabled.

The SMTP service is operated by a system or global user, but it is not password protected meaning that you do not have to specify a username/password to connect to the SMTP server.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
also make sure the admin account is your account that actually exists on the server. While putting a non-valid email id like admin@yourserver.com will work when sending email to you it won't go to anyone else. You'll have to have a valid yourmailid@yourserver.com for it to work.

ChessMess
Quote Reply
Okay...thanks for the advice...but this Thread was discussed two months ago...why dig it up?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Sorry about that... I've been searching so much that I didn't realize I was replying to an old msg.

ChessMess