Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR!

Quote Reply
INTERNAL SERVER ERROR!
i get the following error...

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

i uploaded everything in the correct form... please help!!

Quote Reply
Re: INTERNAL SERVER ERROR! In reply to
Hi

What are you doing to get this error?

DavyC

Quote Reply
Code:
Step 1
Whenever you get errors, you should...
-read error logs for any clues
-check file and directory permissions
-check that paths and URLs are correct
-check script syntax for missing brackets, semi-colons, etc. or other invalid code
-check that files were uploaded in ASCII format
Step 2
If you still can't diagnose/fix your problem, you should...
-read the readme file that came with LINKS
-look for FAQ's in the resource center
-search the forum for posts relating to your problem
-back-up files and implement any suggestions

Step 3
If you still can't diagnose/fix your problem, you should...
-repeat Steps 1 & 2
-then post your problem
Since you've indicated you have error logs, read them, then go through the rest of this list.

--Drew
Quote Reply
i just go to the admin/admin.cgi

Quote Reply
Okay...well put the full path to links.cfg in the require line in admin.cgi since it is one the most common solutions, but if you tell us what your error logs say it would very helpful.

--Drew
Quote Reply
Hello
I have also the same problem "Internal Server Error"
"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."
I checked the error log file and saw this line:
"[Sat Oct 07 15:11:36 2000] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (2)No such file or directory: couldn't spawn child process: c:/program files/apache group/apache/cgi-bin/admin/admin.cgi"
Could you please help in fixing this problem?
Thanks in advance.

wewe

Quote Reply
Hey I fixed the problem if you want mu advice try to change the first line of all cgi files to the right path in which the perl.exe exists such as:
c:\perl\bin\perl.exe

Hoping this will help.
Regards;

wewe

Quote Reply
Thanks wewe,
I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what our local server was trying to tell me when it says, No such file or directory.

As it turns out we DID have the correct path to perl on our local box of #!/usr/bin/perl

And only after carefully scrutinizing the admin.cgi file did we find that it wasn't correct in the scripts, it was written as #!/usr/bin/perl<space> where <space> contained a blank space character.

Once we removed that blank space from the end of the scripts they all worked locally.

Man, I was about to throw this whole computer in the trash, I was getting so extremely pissed off that I couldn't find out what was going on, now I know to check the path to perl on all scripts we will run locally to make sure that there isn't any blank characters at the end of the path to perl.

My everlasting thanks.

Harrison

"I've got if's pretty good, but that's about it"
Quote Reply
You welcome Harrison.
Now I have a problem. Everything is going well except for the home page I alaways have error HTTP 404 the page not found although it really exists on the "pages" folder and I have the right path of the index file of the home page in the links.cfg which is as follows:
$build_root_path = "/program files/apache group/apache/pages";
$build_root_url = "http://127.0.0.1/pages"; and the path of the folder is really as follows:
D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Pages
when I access the index page from the "pages" folder I see the built subcategories I try to open the page of one of them I have the same error although it really exists and I can open it from the folder of the subcategory in the "pages" folder.
Can any body help me in this?
wewe

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
$build_root_path = "/program files/apache group/apache/pages";
You forgot the DRIVE LETTER and colon in this variable configuration. Remember you are on a Windows Server and you need to use the DRIVE LETTER to specify where your files are located. The home page is not being built because the build program (nph-build.cgi) has no clue where to build the home page.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thank you Eliot you are here again.
In fact I'm using the path without the letter drive with the admin.cgi and it's working very well. However, I tried your advice and added to all the pathes the drive letter D: where all links files exist but I had the same result. Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

wewe

---------------------------------------------------
Hi Eliot
I want to thank you for your all help. I discovered what was the problem. I resolved it when I changed the Document Root in Apache configuration file. Now every thing is fine and I have learned so much from you.
Thank you again and Good Luck in all your researches.

wewe