Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

IIS/WinNT Config Problems

Quote Reply
IIS/WinNT Config Problems
For the past two months I've been running Links 2.0 under a linux based web provider without problems, but am now in the process of transferring my entire site to my home WinNT system. I run NT 4.0/IIS 4.0, and have ActiveState's ActivePerl installed and correctly mapped in IIS setup.

All Threads files have had the location of Perl correctly changed, all .cgi files now point at the full path of LINKS.CFG. I've changed all the file names to .pl extensions, and replaced all references to .cgi files in the scripts with .pl extensions. Directory permissions, as far as I'm aware, are set up correctly as well.

The problem is that whenever I point a browser at a Links .pl file, it tries to download the .pl file instead of execute it. This isn't a setup problem with IIS/ActivePerl--I have other scripts installed that function just fine, such as my site management bundle. I'm absolutely positive this is an setup error of some kind on my part... my experience with Links these past two months has been nothing but wonderful.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: IIS/WinNT Config Problems In reply to
Download the file and read the error message, or read your Perl error log files.

Don't forget that you also have to set $db_iis to 1 since you are now on a Windows server. This variable is in the links.cfg file.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
IIS/HTTP Headers... set to 1. I'm not sure what problem I'm having... the error messages I'm receiving after the "download" are the stock ones everyone else seems to receive, about libraries not being found:

Error including libraries: Can't locate E:Inetpubwwwrooti-bininksdmininks.cfg at E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cgi-bin\links\admin\admin.cgi line 27.

I'm not sure how this will turn out once it gets posted, but there are boxes (ASCII characters) spaced in with the path which is all strung together without the necessary /. I've double-checked and then triple and quadruple checked the paths I've used in each CGI file, and as far as I can tell they're correct. I've also changed the permissions of the entire links directory to Full Control/EVERYONE, so permissions shouldn't be a factor at the moment either.

Any other ideas?

Quote Reply
You need to use:

Code:

require "E:/InetPub/wwwroot/cgi-bin/links/admin/links.cfg";

in your admin.cgi script.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Yep, got it. Had it all along. Every module has the same path, and every module returns a similar error on execution.

require "E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cgi-bin\links.cfg";

I've even got the other two paths AFTER this one set up with full paths to the necessary files. Links.cfg IS there, the file permissions are FULL CONTROL, so its not a permissions or file misplacement problem. See what I mean? I have no clue why its acting up... it should be running without a hitch.

What I don't get--and I just messed up my current linux system install temporarily to check this--is that error messages from my linux install displayed the path correctly in the error message. On my NT box, I get the path without the slashes and all jumbled together.

Well, the only solution may be to break my site into two pieces and keep the links directory on the unix machine. Hate doing it that way, but I'm not going to replace Links... its been way too good of a proggy for me to give up on.

Quote Reply
Uh..no, you don't get it...look at the slashes...Mine are forward, which you can use in PERL 5.00503. You have backward slashes...

Question: Do your other Perl scripts work in the NT server? If not, then it could be a problem with your Perl installation.

Also, make sure that you have both .pl and .cgi mapped correctly.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I finally remembered what I had to do to correct the problem you are having. Turn off directory browsing in your website properties in Internet Service Manager. If directory browsing is turned on, it allows people to view your files and initate a download of anything there. Well, this is fine if you have files for download, but not for your web files. So, if you are typing in http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/admin/admin.cgi and it presents you with a download prompt, it is because you have directory browsing turned on in your website properties.

If directory browsing is not checked and this is still happeining, you have another problem. But, I feel very sure this is the problem, it is a very common thing to happen.

Good Luck

John
john@neoncity.net
Neon City Digital Services
Hell, I own it!