Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

Help, I'm getting ripped off here!!

Quote Reply
Help, I'm getting ripped off here!!
I had Links working ok. When my ISP password protected the admin directory Links stopped working. They said this was because you can't run cgi scripts from behind the password protection on a NT server. They now say that Links is so badly written they need UKPOUNDS 50 per hour for "as long as it takes" (they won't give me an exact quote) to customise the script so it works when password protected. I've got a feeling summat aint right here but I don't enough about this stuff to argue with them. Am I right to be a bit suspicious here? Is there a simple soloution to this password problem and if they're just trying to rip me off who do I complain to? Cheers for any help!

Quote Reply
Re: Help, I'm getting ripped off here!! In reply to
Ok, number one, fire your ISP and get a different one ASAP..

You are being conned...

I'm currently moving everything to an NT server myself at the moment and I've a feeling that all that means is that you can't use the .htpasswd an .htaccess files that exist. I believe there's also a MOD that exists to tackle the problem of security by adding in password access to the admin section.

Links is well written, not specifically set for NT but it is a good program so along with a whole bunch of other people from here (I'm pretty sure) you can tell your ISP to go take a running jump...

Just out of interest, who is the host?

Cheers,

Martin

- - - -
The impossible we can handle now
Miracles take a little longer
Quote Reply
I'd love to tell them to take a running jump but I've just 1) paid upfront for hosting and 2) been through all the pain of getting Links installed.
I've read all the threads on NT password protecting and I haven't really seen a straight, simple answer yet. I'm not giving them an open cheque if I can just say to them "Hey.. why don't you just do this" There must be thousands of Links running on NT out there - how have YOU got around the password thing?
Anyway sorry if I don't reply straight away, off on hols after tomorrow, but thanks in advance for any help!

Quote Reply
In terms of processing .cgi scripts on NT, it is a nightmare in terms of processing, which sucks memory. And while many NT hosting companies do offer .cgi scripts, they recommend using ASP since it is a built-in application in NT.

One suggestion is to use the ASP version of Links...there are actually two versions that are linked in the Links 2.0 Customization Forum.

Regards,

Eliot Lee