Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
1.1 500 error
I can't get to first base! I get a 1.1 500 error message when I go to the admin.cgi and <%db_cgi..%> when i use add link on home.html. My cfg looks like this:
# PATH and URL of Admin CGI directory. No Trailing Slash.
$db_script_path = "//fs1/primary/spnwhno1/songwriters.co.nz/cgi-bin/admin";
$db_dir_url = "http://www.songwriters.co.nz/cgi-bin/admin";

# URL of User CGI directory. No Trailing Slash.
$db_cgi_url = "http://www.songwriters.co.nz/cgi-bin/links";

# PATH and URL of Pages to be built. No Trailing Slash.
$build_root_path = "//fs1/primary/spnwhno1/songwriters.co.nz/links/pages";
$build_root_url = "http://www.songwriters.co.nz/links/pages";
Your advise desperately please!
Quote Reply
Re: 1.1 500 error In reply to
I have Perl5 on the server if that helps!
Quote Reply
Is the first line of your script pointing to the correct perl location?
Quote Reply
It is in the default location. Other scripts I have used work from the same location. Is it possible that the cgi scripts need to be changed to pl. If that is the case how do I do that?
Quote Reply
You need to 1) rename the scripts and 2) search through all the scripts looking for the word .cgi and change it to .pl.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Better, but I got this reply when I went into admin.pl (nee cgi):
Error including libraries: Can't locate links.cfg in @INC (@INC contains: \\fs1\primary\spnwhno1\songwriters.co.nz\cgi-bin\links c:/perl/lib c:/perl/site/lib .) at \\fs1\primary\spnwhno1\songwriters.co.nz\cgi-bin\links\admin.pl line 27.

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

Is the error mentioned in the cfg script or the admin.pl?
Quote Reply
Could the double // in your paths have anything to do with this problem? For example:

Quote:
$db_script_path = "//fs1/primary/spnwhno1/songwriters.co.nz/cgi-bin/admin";

Maybe the first / should be the drive where the script resides?

Also, try using the full path to links.cfg in the links.cfg require line of admin.pl.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited August 27, 1999).]
Quote Reply
The path worked better with // however, when I put the complete path to links.cfg I recieved the following error:
"Error including libraries: Can't find string terminator "~" anywhere before EOF at //fs1/primary/spnwhno1/songwriters.co.nz/cgi-bin/admin/admin_html.pl line 293.

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly."

Line 290 - 295 of admin_html.pl is:
"# ---------------------------------------------
# Search options to be displayed at the bottom of search forms.
#
(293) print qq~
<P>
<STRONG>Search Options:</STRONG> <br>

Is there an error here?
Quote Reply
In that same section of code, look for the line that says:

Code:
<SELECT NAME="sb">

Immediately following that should be the two lines that read:

Code:
<OPTION>---
~; for (my $i =0; $i <= $#db_cols; $i++) { ... more code here ...

The ending ~ should be at the beginning of that line below the OPTION line.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Its coming along but when I went to Build all I got the following error:
Links Manager: Building Pages
Building Pages
Pages built on 29-Aug-1999 at 15:17:21
--------------------------------------------------------

Backing up database . . .
Backing up links, category and email database (File::Copy) ...

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Unable to copy links backup. Reason: No such file or directory
Script Location : \\fs1\primary\spnwhno1\songwriters.co.nz\cgi-bin\admin\nph-build.pl
Perl Version : 5.00503

I have looked at previous messages posted on the forum but none offer a practical solution. What does this error mean?
Also, the HTML pages which I have in http://www.songwriters.co.nz/links/ directory are not working either in "db_root_.." etc or is the css file doing its stuff dispite path and url pointing to this directory. Are these two problems related?
Quote Reply
If you do not have an admin/backup directory, you need to create one and make sure it has 777 (or equivalent) permissions. That will solve the backup problem.

The html problem may be related because Links is not building the pages due to the error with the backup. Once that is solved, the pages should build (and work) if the paths and URLs in links.cfg are correct.
Quote Reply
Yes they were related and every started falling into place and working well. Then suddenly two days later I began encountering problems. The one that seems to be at the center of it all is when I attempt to "build all" from the Admin panel I get this error:
'\\fs1\primary\spnwhno1\songwriters.co.nz\cgi-bin\admin\nph-build.pl' script produced no output
What has caused this sudden failure and how can I repair it?
Quote Reply
Thanks Bobsie, your support was emmensely valuable. I have had to ensure the entire path to the cfg was added to all scripts and the it was a matter of ensuing the appropriate script was in the correct directory and adding backup and data directories in cgi-bin/admin directories. Making the appropriate corrections as the errors appeared and cghanging cgi to pl as you said. I am still encountering glitches and have posted these as a new topic as the original problem is satisfactorily repaired. My sincere thanks, maybe you can assist in my new posting ... spn2