Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

NT Admin Password Protection?

Quote Reply
NT Admin Password Protection?
I couldn't seem to find any mod's for links 2.0 that password protects the admin on NT servers. Any suggestions?

Quote Reply
Re: NT Admin Password Protection? In reply to
I'm currently working on a cookie mod to protect all files in the admin directory - I think others have done this and some seem to work well but a few of them are very insecure.

Mods:http://wiredon.net/gt/download.shtml
Installations:http://wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] NT Admin Password Protection? In reply to
Is it ready yet? Let me know because this sounds interesting. I'm looking for this mod for a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: [VashTheStampede] NT Admin Password Protection? In reply to
Why not do this in IIS?
Quote Reply
Re: [Benne] NT Admin Password Protection? In reply to
Hehe that post was a year ago...I don't think I ever went through with it because its too insecure doing it like that.
Quote Reply
Re: [activegamer] NT Admin Password Protection? In reply to
>>Why not do this in IIS? <<

What makes you think he's using IIS :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] NT Admin Password Protection? In reply to
My host (Verio - Win2000) doesn't support htaccess on NT and they don't want to provide an alternative solution. They keep telling me that I'll have to protect my stuff with ASP ... but protecting a Perl script with ASP is a little strange.

The only thing to do for me is to upload the script to the server when I want to administer the site ... which isn't very userfriendly.

It looks that there is no mod available to protect the admin scripts. Are can someone point me in the right direction?
Quote Reply
Re: [Benne] NT Admin Password Protection? In reply to
If you are on a windows IIS server and you don't have access to the IIS administration, you can setup a FrontPage subweb then remove browse privs from everyone for that subweb. You can do this all from FrontPage. This is how I have been protecting my admin for years. When you go to your admin dir, you should get the pop-up authentication window. You would use whatever user/pass your ISP gave you for your NT account.

If you do have IIS admin access, you would just select the folder in question, go to properties, go to directory security, click on anonymous access and remove the check from anonymous access. Usually you access the IIS admin by apending the assigned port number onto your domain, i.e. http://me.com:1234/
Quote Reply
Re: [vicos2] NT Admin Password Protection? In reply to
Great advice...however, most Windows hosting companies do not allow access to the administrative web site.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] NT Admin Password Protection? In reply to
didn't i make this mod?

i remembered i used a session-based encrypted cookie and put all links files into a non-www accessible directory (except for admin.cgi).

wasn't it called Admin Mod or something?

--
jsu