Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

%1 is not a valid Windows NT application.

Quote Reply
I just installed (or so I thought) Links 2.x on my NT server. But if I try to run any of the cgi files (e.g. search.cgi) I get the error:

Any ideas? I thought this was supposed to work "out of the box" on Windows, so I don't know what happened.

Shannon
webmaster@babiesonline.com
Quote Reply
Re: %1 is not a valid Windows NT application. In reply to
.cgi is NOT a registered application. Providing that you have Perl properly installed, .pl is the associated file extension. I think that you can associate .cgi with perl.exe, but that may cause some other problems, or You need to go through each file, change the name from whatever.cgi to whatever.pl. Then inside each perl script, and every .html template and change EVERY reference to .cgi to .pl.

This worked for me...

JOhn :}
Quote Reply
Had same prob before. Solution=
go into the properties for the folder(site) you are wanting to run the script(s) on and tell the server to use associated files. In the properties box you will be able to put pl or cgi or any other file. Look under the NT help files that came with the software and it will tell you how to associate these files. Good luck and if that didn't get you in the right direction, post a reply and i will get the details from my server admin Smile
Quote Reply
Shannon,

I've just encountered exactly the same error message, and will now attempt the solutions suggested by John (microjl) and eb. Before I do so, can you tell me if you succeeded? (I don't see LINKS on your site -- nice site, by the way.)

------------------
Stephen C. Nill
CharityChannel.com, the online project of American Philanthropy Review

(949) 589-5938

CharityChannel.com
Quote Reply
That message means your server isn't setup to run .cgi scripts using perl (the out of the box assumes your server is setup to run perl scripts). A good step by step faq on how to configure your server to run perl scripts can be found here:

http://www.activestate.com/...2/perlwin32faq6.html

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks for the reference, Alex! I had found this site previously and followed its directions to the "t" (or thought I did). Just in case, I'll go back and double check everything.

Am I correct in understanding that if I configure NT correctly (that is, to run CGI), there should be no need to change file names from .cgi to .pl?

------------------
Stephen C. Nill
CharityChannel.com, the online project of American Philanthropy Review

(949) 589-5938

CharityChannel.com