Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
PERL version
I just downloaded and installed Links to my website. Everything was working well untill....I chose to build the pages. Error log says I'm running perl version 5.00307 and Links requires 5.004. Is this going to be a problem? Win32 Perl version 5 translates to 5.00307 according to my hosting services documents. Should I yell and scream or bite my tounge? Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: PERL version In reply to
You will need the later version. Have you tried ActivePerl? You can find it at www.ActiveState.com/ActivePerl/ . It is what I use on my Windows system and was a extremely smooth install.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited April 04, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks for the info. but I don't have access to the server. I sent a request to my hosting service and they replied "We are not planning to upgrade to v.5.004, we had a bad experience with it. We will be waiting until the next version comes out." Do you believe it? Any idea when a newer version will be coming out? Maybe its time to switch back to a Unix server. Frown
Quote Reply
Sometimes I wonder about some ISPs. There may have been a "bad experience" with one particular build of version 5.004, but it is more likely that they installed something wrong and interpreted it as a problem.

I don't think you need to move to a Unix server. I just think you need to find an ISP that keeps their system up to date for their customers. The latest version of Perl is 5.005_02, and 5.005_03 is imminent.
Quote Reply
I'd tell them the next version is out and they should upgrade! Activestate has made huge leaps in the stability and reliability of the windows versions of perl. The latest builds are based off of perl 5.005_03!

"We are not planning to upgrade to v.5.004, we had a bad experience with it." => Translation: "We don't want to do this, go away"

Sigh,

Alex