Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

Optimizing Page Speed

Quote Reply
Optimizing Page Speed
Hi. I am using the enhanced template mod to emulate include files. But it seems that the page builds slower while it reads in these files. I'm guessing that every time you do something in <% %> it requires a trip to the perl dll? I figured I'd ask even though I'm guessing this is the way it works. To optimize the page display I guess it would be best to simply hard code the HTML into the page. I also know that with ASP they recommend when possible to put all the HTML and <% %> together like this

<%
Code
Code
%>
HTML

rather than this

<% %>
HTML
<% %>
HTML
<% %>
HTML

So I'm guessing it may be more efficient when you have small amounts of HTML interspersed with code to just use whatever statement Perl uses to print the HTML?

Example instead of the following;

<% Code %>
<b>This is a test</b>
<% Code %>
<h1>This is a test</h1>

something like this

<%
..Code..
Print "<b>This is a test</b>"
..Code..
Print "<h1>This is a test</h1>"
%>

If this is the case can someone either tell me where I might find an exteremly basic Perl tutorial online - I would just need to learn enough to be able to write out the HTML assuming what I said above is indeed the case.

Burt

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Optimizing Page Speed In reply to
Ooopsss! Stupid me. I got use to using dynamic includes with the asp pages and forgot that this script builds all the pages as straight html so any performance problems I guess are more likely a problem with some cumbersome Html on my part.