Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Newbie to NT
Hi

I have installed links on numerous occassions on Unix, with no problem.

I am about to install for the first time on NT.

A few questions?

Am I right in assuming the shebang line does not need to be altered for NT?

The file paths my ftp shows me

/e:/folder/anotherfolder/cgi-bin

/e:/folder/anotherfolder/example

url would be

http://www.anotherfolder.com/example

The cgi-bin would just appear to be another sub folder, not like public_html and cgi-bin in unix, could some-one please give me a sample path for links.cfg

When I asked the host for the smtp server they just stated it was not needed because it was NT.

As I say I have no problems with Unix, but NT is total new ballgame, any help before I start would really be appreciated.

Oh nearly forgot are the slashes \ / the other way around for NT

Thanks in anticipation

DavyC

Quote Reply
Re: Newbie to NT In reply to
In Reply To:
Am I right in assuming the shebang line does not need to be altered for NT?
Depends on how Perl is configured in the NT Server. When I managed and developed sites for NT Servers about a year ago, I set-up Perl to use a specific perl path in the "shebang" line. I posted the path in the DBMAN Installation Forum about a year ago.

Most NT Servers are configured to not use that line. So, try deleting the perl path.

In Reply To:
The file paths my ftp shows me

/e:/folder/anotherfolder/cgi-bin

/e:/folder/anotherfolder/example

url would be

http://www.anotherfolder.com/example

The cgi-bin would just appear to be another sub folder, not like public_html and cgi-bin in unix, could some-one please give me a sample path for links.cfg
Again...depends on how the NT is configured. Some NT administrators use drive/directory aliases for accounts for easy management. We used IIS 4.0 and to keep things simple for the admin, we had all accounts in the C:/InetPub/wwwroot/website directories.

And you should be using the following paths in your .cfg files and in your .cgi files:

Code:

e:/folder/anotherfolder/cgi-bin

Do not use the forward slash before the drive letter.

In Reply To:
When I asked the host for the smtp server they just stated it was not needed because it was NT.
Well, if they have a Windows sendmail program, like Blatmail installed, then that is true. You need to ask them where the sendmail program is located. IF they tell you that they do not have sendmail installed, then you do need to use SMTP, by simply using your domain address, like the following:

Code:

$db_smtp_server = 'yourdomain.com';

Unless they have a special SMTP server set-up that you have to use a sub-domain address, like the following:

Code:

$db_smtp_server = 'mail.yourdomain.com';

Hope these comments help.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot

DavyC

Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Eliot

Worked first time with your help, needed to change.cgi files to .pl, and the smtp server turned out to be smtp.mydomain.com.

Thanks again couldn't have done it without your help

Much appreciated

DavyC

Quote Reply
You're welcome...Yea...most NT servers are configured not to execute .cgi...for "security purposes"...but on the NT Servers I managed, I mapped both .cgi and .pl to execute with security hotfixes for Perl installed from Microsoft.

Regards,

Eliot Lee