Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

NT installation problems

Quote Reply
NT installation problems
I uploaded the files per instructions and made changes to the links.cfg files except sendmail and email of the administrator, because when I enter that in the format "mail.mydomain.com"; and "webmaster@mydomain.com"; I get an error when I run the admin.cgi file.

Without the above two entries, when I run the admin.cgi file, I get a page with frames but with the error 'The page cannot be found' in each of the three frames.

Why is that and how can I move forward.

Thanks.

Dinesh
Quote Reply
Re: NT installation problems In reply to
Please copy the following files as text files:

links.cfg
admin.cgi

And then upload them to a publicly accessible directory in your web server (NOT FTP SERVER), and then provide the URLs to these text files.

Thank you.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I figured out two issues. The error I was making in entering the smtp server name was that I was using " " instead of ' '. When I changed that, I stopped getting that error.

I also made an error in the href of one link and fixing that enabled my admin.cgi to work.

However, now I am not able to create categories. I get the following error

Error Message : error in add_record. unable to open database: mysite_path/cgi-bin/links/admin/data/categories.db.
Reason: Permission denied

I guess some permissions are not set right. Could somebody spell out the exact permissions needed for a NT installation, as I have to send them to my ISP.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
For NT, Here are some translations of permissions:

IUSR/MACHINENAME: Read, Write
IWAM/MACHINENAME: Read, Write
Everyone: Read, Write

IUSR/MACHINENAME: Read, Write, Execute
IWAM/MACHINENAME: Read, Write, Execute
Everyone: Read, Write, Execute

IUSR/MACHINENAME: Read, Execute
IWAM/MACHINENAME: Read, Execute
Everyone: Read, Execute
Admin: Read, Write, Execute

BTW: If your hosting company cannot interpret the permissions stated in the README file to NT, you are in for some major headaches.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center