Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

I am getting an error on NT

Quote Reply
I am getting an error on NT
It will not allow catergories to create a directory why?
Quote Reply
Re: I am getting an error on NT In reply to
First of all, it would really help if you could be more specific. Please include any error messages and any other information that might help us with your problem.

Are your paths correct? Since you're using NT, you need to include the drive letter (i.e. D:/, F:/) on all of your paths. Does your physical path match your virtual path?
Quote Reply
Building Home Pages . . .Subcategories: 1Total Links: 2
Opening page: E:/web_Sites/bbs/index.htm Closing page. Done
Building What's New Page . . .
CGI Error: Invalid argument
E:/web_Sites/bbs/New/index.htm. Reason: Invalid argument

then it print the page with system variables
so it creates index.htm on the first page
closes and then err on New Directory
Quote Reply
I firgure it out!
For whatever reason the links program will not allow you to write to another directory E:\ D:\ etc in Windows NT even if specified. It should remain on your c:\ drive.
Thanks All
Quote Reply
carjoe,

I've seen Links installed on just about every drive letter available, so it isn't Links that giving you the problem. It sounds like you've got a permissions problem on the directory that you're trying to build links. From what you're saying, it sounds like you've got physical access to this server. You need to right click on your links directory and give the system full control over the directory. For NT, it is usually a good idea to let the system have full control over most everything unless you have a particular reason for needing security of specific areas of your machine. You may also want to login as an Administrator and give your user login full control over the directory as well (assuming that you're doing all of your building on your local machine).
Quote Reply
believe or not that directory does have full control ..... I had a problem before with another pl script and learn about permissions the hard way. So I had made sure to check permissions on all folders. Well I got it to work. I thank you for all you advice.
"I love this links stuff"

[This message has been edited by carjoe (edited February 18, 1999).]