Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

HELP! i am desperated!

Quote Reply
HELP! i am desperated!
Help, i've read all the messagess on the posts i've read the online help and i still can't get links to work on NT 4.0 with service pack 5 and IIS 4.0

this is the message i get
%1 is not a valid NT application.

if i change the permissions or rename the .cgi to .pl like many suggested the file wants to download instead of running on the web server.

i've read about maping, but i haven't read no post on how to do it exactly, can anyone please explain in detail how to add mapping so that the .pl files (or .cgi files) will run on the browser and not try to download them.

Please help!

TIA

------------------
Shanti-
Quote Reply
Re: HELP! i am desperated! In reply to
Not sure if this is the answer to your question, but I believe it has to do with installing Perl correctly on your webserver. I downloaded Perl from www.activestate.com and it installed pretty easily.

I did have to set-up the associations manually (associating .pl and .cgi files with C:\perl\bin\perl.dll - the .dll is faster then the .exe version)

I hope this helps, I know how frustrating this kind of stuff can be.

Brad
Quote Reply
how did you set up the associations with the file ? using the options on any window ? or did you did it on the registry ?

if you did it on the registry could you explain a little bit more please.

Thanks!

------------------
Shanti-
Quote Reply
Mapping is easy (as long as you have administrator access). Enter Internet Services Manager under IIS, bring up the properties for the web site, and go to the home directory tab. Click on "Configuration" next to the Default Application box. This will bring up a listing of the mappings. Use the add feature to map an application to an extention in IIS 4.0
In my case I mapped .cgi to
d:\perl\bin\perl.exe %s %s (don't forget the %s part).
Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Thanks ! that worked like a charm!

------------------
Shanti-