Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

CGI Error -And don't make me get slaphappy Eliot

Quote Reply
CGI Error -And don't make me get slaphappy Eliot
The mental midgets over at my ISP say that perl 5 is installed in the following directory
C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe The only reason I believe them is that I know they live off a diet of carbonated soft drinks and potato chips and are forced to repeat themselves one THOUSAND times a day. Sort of like someone we all know and love....::points to Eliot:: Please read further:

And to support their claim of having a brain the superior mental midgets at my ISP listed that line as the correct path to PERL on their FAQ's page. I am on an NT server and have been trying to install this freaking script for the last two nights to no avail. My patience is nil and I'm disheartened by what I've seen on this board already. Desperate people take desperate measures and so that brings me here....at your mercy. Oh joy.

I know you don't like duplicaation and redundancy but that's too damn bad. You are supposed to help people(voluntary or not), so either help me, quiet that noise or I'll waste my time elsewhere.

You should be ashamed of yourself berating these people who have little clue as to how BBS's work and topics. It's job security babe....And for the record I don't take crap from anyone including those I ask for help. So spare me if you're gonna do anything.

----------------------------------
Code:

No POSTS = NO NEED FOR ADMIN OR MODERATOR.

----------------------------------------------

Now that I've given you a dose of your own medicine (which you deserve considering EVERY post you reply to is nasty) here's my problem.

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

Backslash found where operator expected at D:\home\nt24r147\cgi-bin\links\admin\admin.cgi line 1, near "Perl\"
syntax error at D:\home\nt24r147\cgi-bin\links\admin\admin.cgi line 1, near "Perl\"
Backslash found where operator expected at D:\home\nt24r147\cgi-bin\links\admin\admin.cgi line 1, near "bin\"
syntax error at D:\home\nt24r147\cgi-bin\links\admin\admin.cgi line 32, near "}"
Execution of D:\home\nt24r147\cgi-bin\links\admin\admin.cgi aborted due to compilation errors.

I can't WAIT to hear your response. Make it worthwhile so you can save face and I can finally be impressed by one of your replies.

-Miss Right Back Atcha

Quote Reply
Re: CGI Error -And don't make me get slaphappy Eliot In reply to
Really...every post is nasty, huh?

LOL!! Major difference between your ISP technical support and me and other Gossamer Thread script users is that they are PAID to help people...I am not.

Also, many answers to questions are in these forums...I am not lying. Also, if you would take the time to search the forum...you would find answers to your questions.

And do you really think your Post is going to make us help you anymore...I don't think so....

This is the last piece of advice I have to offer...I mean the last piece of advice.

Anyway...This is the Perl Path that works in NT 4.0, SP 4.0, IIS 4.0....

Code:
#!\perl5//bin//perl

Best of luck with your LINKS project...

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Yes, EVERY reply. I've been a netizen for a long time dearie and I did read every single post for the last 130 days in this thread and several hundred more in other threads at this forum. This is not how you go about helping people, and I took the time to show some colleagues of mine this thread. They were appalled.

Just as a point of information if you worked for me in my Network department/Help Desk and you guys so much as blinked wrong when a customer called or wrote for help, I would launch you so fast you'd be bouncing for blocks. So would any sane IT Manager or MIS Director.

Now back to why I'm replying. I still don't understand else I wouldn't have bothered to even write. Call this a rude awakening or a flame, I could care less you needed to be told.

When you offer a service (whether free or fee) you have an obligation to the people purchasing your wares to provide FRIENDLY help, not chastise them for making duplicate threads and redundant posts like Eliot (you?) has/have done ad nauseum. Though I must say I am impressed and admire your tenacity in the matter for even giving this post a second glance.

The thread style of this BBS is also confusing in that people won't notice the drop down list to choose back posts IF they are unaccustomed to it. Fortunately I am aware because this board is used all over the net and on many MB's I subscribe to. You must assume everyone you talk to is a newbie and you are there to save the day. Give yourself the ability to stroke your testosterone riddled ego.

So if every question has been answered why am I asking for help and the other people that have written in the last few days?

Furthermore, don't you think if you guys had a more friendly approach MORE people would be writing? LINKS is available on every CGI scripting resource on the net and I can count twelve websites I know of that are using it. Pretty popular if you ask me. You'd think more people would be registering and asking for assistance, but I'm willing to wager a whole month's salary that they aren't because they are afraid of being mocked, taunted and humiliated.

Thank you for wasting a calorie and responding, I'll be going elsewhere now. I would put a caveat up on my board to give people a heads up on what they are in store for if they repeat a question that supposedly has already been answered in this sad excuse of a forum.

Sign Me-
Been Here, Done That, Hated It.

(P.S. I edited this because I thought you had said you were paid, but now realize you weren't. My apologies on that. )

[This message has been edited by thetechnophile (edited February 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by thetechnophile (edited February 19, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Deleted....

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited February 19, 2000).]