Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

Ad category problems

Quote Reply
Ad category problems
I'm very new to perl and maybe language problems is also a part of my complete understanding of perl.

Anyway, I have solved the admin setup but when I try to ad categories I start getting lost. So I'm pretty sure that my permissions are set up wrongly. Do I have to use backslashes for the script_paths when I upload the .pl files to the server?

I'm really trying to read through the Readme files and also the scripts but I get stuck.

CB

Quote Reply
Re: Ad category problems In reply to
In Reply To:
Do I have to use backslashes for the script_paths when I upload the .pl files to the server?
No.

In Reply To:
I'm really trying to read through the Readme files and also the scripts but I get stuck.
How are you getting stuck?
What errors do you confront when you try to Add Categories?
What is the permission of your categories.db and categoryid.txt files? They both need to be set to world writable. If you do not have permission to change directory and file permissions, then contact your hosting company and ask them to set up directory and file permissions for you.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
How are you getting stuck?
What errors do you confront when you try to Add Categories?
What is the permission of your categories.db and categoryid.txt files? They both need to be set to world writable. If you do not have permission to change directory and file permissions, then contact your hosting company and ask them to set up directory and file permissions for you.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
-------------------------------------------

Thank you Eliot
I was told by my ISP that I didn't need to set write permissions because it's running on a NT server. So maybe they just haven't informed me of the right perl libary path. I have been away for a few days but in another few days time I will again have more time to play around with setting up 2.0. I'll be back with more questions.

Best regards
Claus, CBMax

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I was told by my ISP that I didn't need to set write permissions because it's running on a NT server.
Well...that is incorrect..The Everyone user (through the web browswer) that accesses your add.cgi and other database writable scripts (like admin.cgi) NEED to have WRITE permissions to write data.

In Reply To:
So maybe they just haven't informed me of the right perl libary path.
Not the problem...if you are able to "open" the files via the web browser, yet you are unable to add data to the database files...then it is a PERMISSION problem.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot

I will look into it and get back to you. When I open my FTP and try to opload it only allows me to set permissions if I was installing on a Unix but as I'm trying to opload the .pl files to a NT server I guess it's the ISP that will have to set the permissions for me, is that correct ?

Best regards, Claus

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I'm trying to opload the .pl files to a NT server I guess it's the ISP that will have to set the permissions for me, is that correct ?
That is correct.

Regards,

Eliot Lee