Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

not building (among other things) :(

Quote Reply
not building (among other things) :(
I re-installed Links like 4 hours ago and and can't get my pages to build and there are no error messages showing up. It says that some links are being updated, and that the Ratings, Cool, and What's New pages are built, as well as the index page. Those pages are there, but they're blank. On the index page, though, the <%category%> tag is removed and the category listings are missing. Actually, a blank category link is inserted in there.

During the build, where is states the number of subcategories on "Home Page", it says that there are only 1 (which is wrong: there are 240). None of the subcategory pages are built.

When I use "Check Cat", all those categories that "don't exist" show up. In the far right column, where you would choose a category to move links to, there's a error that says " error building select field: no select fields specified in config for field 'Category'! ". Out of curiousity, I tried adding those "missing categories" and then ran it again, and it still said they were missing (even though I verified they existed after adding them). I get the same error in the modify, and add forms.

None of the changes I've made were dramatic enough to cause problems, and were working in my previous installation.

If someone could figure out what's screwed up that'd be a great help.
my admin screen is at:
ucmd.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/music/admin/admin.cgi
and pages should be:
[url}http://ucmd.virtualave.net/pages/[/url]

[This message has been edited by lordmouse (edited January 16, 2000).]
(removed password info)

Quote Reply
Re: not building (among other things) :( In reply to
It took me 24 hours but I think I got it figured out: All the databases need to have the SAME delimiter.

I was using different delimiters for categories.db (pipe) and links.db (tab). I was using a tab for links.db because I can't export from my database program to pipe delimited (and back for easy offline editing). When I did a massive search and replace to changed to pipe, uploaded, and rebuilt, everything worked fine.
Quote Reply
Glad you figured out the problem. To avoid having to do a mass find and replace in your links.db file is to rename the $delim variable in the links.def file and then replace $delim for the adding, modifying routines in the cgi scripts and in the nph-build.cgi file to to the new name of that variable.

This will allow you to use different delimiter characters for each database.

Just a suggestion...

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
That's a good idea Eliot and I think I'll give it shot. But first, something is still not quite right...

I guess the size of my database is probably not helping the situation any (2650 links). Pages won't build in regular mode, stop building in step 2 of staggered mode at a category that "doesn't exist", and in staggered auto about 95% of building get's skipped. (tried applying the fix to that from the recent post in the Modifications forum and it didn't work for me). Yeah, I know, use TELNET (but what kind of free host will give you luxuries like that?) or buy the SQL version (like I have any money Smile )

Then there's this disgusting category:
ucmd.virtualave.net/pages/Articles/
something I've done has caused all of the categories in "Articles" and all their subcategories to show up (instead of like 10 subs, there's also all 70 third level categories showing on the same page)

Now what? Frown

Quote Reply
I would recommed manually editing your categories.db file via WordPad or EditPlus (www.editplus.com). Delete the Articles categories and sub-categories. Also, you will need to manually delete the Articles directories and files using telnet or FTP. The problem with LINKS is that if you remove directories, the directories are NOT deleted off your server.

Then manually move all your links in these categories to other categories.

Also, I don't know if you have telnet access...but telnet is much better than using your web browser. My site has over 2,400 links and 400 categories with tons of mods in the nph-build.cgi file. It takes less than 60 seconds via telnet connecting at 50,000 bps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 16, 2000).]