Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
links.db
Hi, what's up guys. I've been having some errors with links.db. It likes to switch users on me. When I update the site it changes the user from me, to the web server. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions that could help me out?

Thanks,

Josh
Quote Reply
Re: [Josh001] links.db In reply to
I've been doing some searching in the forums here. It's when I click on the Build All link when it will change the user form me to the web server. This will create errors when I validate links. Can any one help or can anyone point me to a thread I have missed? Thanks,

Josh
Quote Reply
I'm afraid there is nothing you can do there, except have SuEXEC (or similar) installed on your server. Lets just say your server is being greedy Crazy

The other way to do it, if you have access to 'chown' is to edit nph-build.cgi, to add the following in after the build process;

`chown -R your_user data`;
`chmod 0666 data/links.db`;

Not definate that will work in your case, but I suppose its worth a go ;) Its at about line ~335 you want to add that line. Just before the 'we are finished' statement.

Hope that helps Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] links.db In reply to
Only root can chown.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] links.db In reply to
Yes, but if the script is running as root, it may work...as you say though, unless its being run as root, that won't work.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] links.db In reply to
If the script is running as root you have serious security issues.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] links.db In reply to
I really don't think it's run as root. I have had this on the server before and hadn't had these problems

Josh
Quote Reply
I found a way around it or at least I think I did. I created a script called 'build_links.sh' it's kinda link the script you can find in the tutorial on how to set it up for cron. Any ways, When I use this script it does not change the user. I'm not sure why, or I just haven't done it enough. I've also set up cron to run that script so I don't have to mess with it. Thanks for your help guys.

Josh