Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

creating categories

Quote Reply
creating categories
Hi, I just installed Links. But:
take a look at
http://www.sumengen.org/web/
this really pisses me off. I don't use the descriptions. And what I get is emptyness instead of categories. I tried various variations: s.a. using descriptions, using cat names in descriptions, etc. Everytime itt is messed up in some ways.
Can you put a faq how to create categories and description. A detailed example will be great.
Baris.
Quote Reply
Re: creating categories In reply to
Have you tried looking at the Common Questions link that is in the Admin screen? Have you tried looking at the FAQs in the Resource Center? Have you tried searching the forums here for other messages outlining any similar problems?

Try one or the other things or all of them.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited July 05, 1999).]
Quote Reply
unfortunately I did that. Common questions and FAQ are really poor at this topic, or my program is acting weirdly. I spend quite a lot of time to try different variations also.

My question is simply, what should I write to the description part of the categories. leaving them empty didn't work.???
Quote Reply
There are only two required fields in the categories database, the category ID and the category name. The category ID is determined by the script. The category name is determined by you. Descriptions may be left blank.

When I looked at the page you posted the URL for, there was no category name.

I hope this answers your questions.
Quote Reply
This may be a little tangential, but if you use "" marks in the titles for any reason, they show up in the site, but they don't get moved to the modify form. If you don't notice that, and save it back, you've effective erased the title.

It's a source of careless error....

Scott
Quote Reply
pugdog,

You should not be using "" in your category titles. The only permissable characters that you can use are letters, numbers, underline, hypen or /.