Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

You have chosen to download a file...

Quote Reply
You have chosen to download a file...
Ok, this is probably a stupid question but I'll go ahead and ask away...

I've decided to download v2.0 and play around a bit with it (played extensively with v1.1) and I believe I have everything setup correctly in so far as permissions, etc. Yet, when I try and execute admin.cgi (in a cgi-bin subdirectory as is suggested in the Readme), it prompts me with the message "You have chosen to download a file from this location \n admin.cgi from mydomain.com" (mydomain being my domain).

I suspect I can probably do this from outside my cgi-bin directory structure (haven't tried it yet, though) but I'd like to know if this a known issue and if there is a way to work around it.

Thanks!

-Andy
Quote Reply
Re: You have chosen to download a file... In reply to
i'm playing with links2 as well and i did not have this problem.
i find links2 to the most parts is better than links1.1 though i like links1.1 better in some areas. like verifying links using1.1 on my server is faster than using links2.
also when verifying using links1.1 from your browser and found an error then you will have the option to delete or modify it while in links2 you would have to search for to delete it.also the script is not building an index
for the admin directry.
Quote Reply
I moved the admin directory outside of cgi-bin and tried again -- same thing.

Ideas?
Quote Reply
When it asks you to download the file, do it but save it with a different name or in a different directory. Once it is downloaded, open it up and see if there is an error message in it. Often there will be in such cases. That might give you an idea as to what is wrong.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Thanks, Bobsie. That was the extra piece of info I needed. Turns out my $db_script_path was not quite correct.

I've made a note of this for future reference.

Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by Andrew Mitcham (edited June 24, 1999).]