Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

It Quit Working

Quote Reply
It Quit Working
   Everything was fine and everything worked except for the verifying links in the admin. Now nothing works, not even the links on the site.
The 'add/modify a site' links at www.mistresss.com/links/links/ shows an 500 error (internal server error), and clicking on the links shows an error.
I can't even access the admin panel, that is also a 500 error.
I have no idea what happened.
Help. Frown
Quote Reply
Re: It Quit Working In reply to
What did you do?

I guess you uploaded your files is binarie mode.
Quote Reply
If you have not made any changes to your script or directory structure, then most likely your hosting company has frozen your LINKS scripts due to excessive use of bandwidth and also CPU/memory.

Check with your Hosting Company.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
I found out from my hosting company that someone had hacked into the server a bit and started deleting files. My guess is, they backed up everything and must have put up a copy of the cgi up BEFORE I had all of the correct paths in it. ::sigh::
Now, the only thing to do is to remember how I got it all working in the first place.
Thanks for your help..I may need it again. Smile
Quote Reply
You should keep backup copies of all your scripts locally on your PC. Entrusting the integrity of data storage of hosting companies is not a good plan. Because most hosting companies keep NORMAL backups about once in a week. Many use INCREMENTAL backups, which won't help when you have dynamic pages and databases.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Very tru. Thanks for the input. Wish I had even thought about about that before.

Now, how I got evertyhing back to working.
1 of 2 things must of happened.
A possible answer to why it quit:
They moved the perl program when they re-booted the server. The tech from my hosting company said that the program was looking at the wrong path to perl. After looking at the readme, it states that the first line of every .cgi must be changed if the default location to perl is not used. I KNOW i didn't do that before, but I may have put the full path to perl in the links.cfg. I'm not sure why this would have caused the links 2.0 to work properly except for the link checking (the error was "http not supported"). But even that problem is fixed now. Smile So at least fixing this problem did fix that one as well.
Unfortunately, it did give me another bug to fix...
When checking links the error reads:

Unable to load Parallel User Checker. System Error:
--
Can't locate HTTP/Request.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /iiw/cgi-bin/mistresss.com/links/admin /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at /iiw/cgi-bin/mistresss.com/links/admin/Validator.pm line 23.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /iiw/cgi-bin/mistresss.com/links/admin/Validator.pm line 23.
--
Using IO::Socket method instead.

I tried to find a request.pm file but couldn't find one. Is there supposed to be one? Is there possibly a different problem here I don't see? Thanks in advance for your help.
Quote Reply
Thanks Elliott for your help. I have contacted my ISP and will let you know the outcome, if you like. Thank God for this forumn or I would have given up a long time ago. Smile Smile

Also a tip for the other forum readers:
After recieving Elliott's help, I went to the search page and entered request.pm in the search box and found a ton of old posts about this problem. My guess is that anyone should be able to search for their similar problem by entering the file that was not found on your server or whatever file you believe the error to be with.
Quote Reply
Yes...There should be a Select.pm with the recent LWP modules compiled in your server.

Use the following script to check all the modules installed in your server.

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
#
#############################################################
# File Name: modules.cgi
# Written by Widgetz, Jerry, Gossamer Threads Scripts User
# Last Modified: November 08,1999
#############################################################

use strict;
use File::Find;
my (@mod, %done, $dir);
find(\&get, grep { -r and -d } @INC);
@mod = grep(!$done{$_}++, @mod);
foreach $dir (sort { length $b <=> length $a } @INC) {
foreach (@mod) { next if s,^\Q$dir,,; }
}
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
foreach (@mod) { s,^/(.*)\.pm$,$1,; s,/,::,g; print "$_<br>\n"; }
print "Done! ($#mod modules!)\n\n";
sub get { /^.*\.pm$/ && /$ARGV[0]/i && push @mod, $File::Find::name; }

Save this script as modules.cgi. Then upload the script to your server. Then change the permission of this file to 755 (rwxr-xr-x).

If this scipt does not run, then it means you are missing tons of needed Perl modules, like File::Find.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center