Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Problems rating links

Quote Reply
Problems rating links
While I'm able to create categories and links, etc. the one thing I'm unable to do is rate links. When I click on the rate links option on a link I've created I get a blank browser page with the following:

Unkown Tag: url

on it. I notice others here have been getting similar messages for title, etc, and am wondering where I go to correct this. I've also installed links before without difficulty and am doing this out of the box, so to speak, with no changes, so I'm stuck.
I am, BTW running the cgi's out of my cgi-bin folder as set up by my ISP. Last time I created a cgi-bin folder within a links folder outside the standard cgibin directory, and doing that, everything worked fine. I'm reluctant to make the cgi's easier to access by doing this again, though.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris Hutcheson

Quote Reply
Re: Problems rating links In reply to
TAGS are case sensitive based on field names.

You need to use <%URL%> in your rate template files.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, the tag doesn't appear at all in the rate template, so it seems like its looking for something that's not there.

It worked fine with the cgi's located in the links folder rather than in my generic cgi-bin directory, so I think I'll try that again before ripping all of my (remaining) hair out.

Thanks again for your reply.

Chris

Quote Reply
I have now completely reinstalled links2 (for about the 5th time). I continue to have the link rating problem. I'm pretty confident I've followed the documentation, including the detailed list of file permissions, to the T.

What I find now is that when I click on "rate it" for a link, the following is displayed as the link to rate.cgi -
http://www.ideaworldhq.com/cgi-bin/links/rate.cgi?ID=5

(ID=5 being the ID for an existing link). The result is a screen showing Unkown Tag:url.

However, if I use the same rate.cgi link, and substitute an ID number that does not exist, for example:

http://www.ideaworldhq.com/cgi-bin/links/rate.cgi?ID=6

the appropriate Error Rating Resource page appears, with a red warning - Unknown link ID:6, as there is no such link in the links.db. The URL db is also fine. I have noticed that the links.db resets to a permission of 644 when i run a full build, while the url.db stays at 666. However, this is also the case in the second links setup I run, and everything works fine there.

I'm completely at a loss. The cgi runs fine on another site of mine at the same service provider. I have not modified anything other than what is specified in the instructions, and have compared the links.cgf files for both sites in detail.

Absolutely everything works except for the rating, and I have changed no tags on the templates.

Sorry if I sound frustrated, but I am. I'd appreciate any suggestions, as I must be missing somethiing obvious here, but can't figure out what it is.

Quote Reply
Yea...here is the obvious...have you added links via your admin.cgi script???? Do you have links in the links.db file?

If not...guess what??? Of course, the script cannot find any link ids, which is the error I see when I access the web page you provided.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
There is currently one link in the links.db file, also in the url.db file. In previous installations I had more, and the problem was still occurring. It returns the Unknown Tag:url error despite this. However, if I put in a spurious ID, it goes to the error page (which does make sense).

I'm currently waiting for a response from my ISP to see why two different domains/sites within my account would work differently with what are essentially duplicates of one setup, except for the domain names in the config file. Maybe there's something there. I sure don't know at this point.

And then again, it'll probably end up being some dopy thing I forgot to do.

Quote Reply
The problem appears to be unique to the the ideaworldhq.com site. I installed a second complete setup on the chrishutcheson.com site and it worked without a hitch. Considering their both in the same directory (for me) at my ISP, I'm completely at a loss, and am checking it out with them.

Given this weirdness, are there any other things anyone here can think of that might be causing the problem? I've checked my typing, the cfg file, etc. and am 99.9% sure those are ok

Thanks (argh!)
Chris

Quote Reply
The ISP has gotten back to me - "I checked it out, and I also got the"Unknown tag" message. I can't offer any reason why that's happening, but that message is coming from the script (or from some module called by the script). The script itself is running, so it's not a file permission issue, nor a server config issue; all our web sites are set up identically. You'll need to keep pursuing this with the developer of the script. Good luck!"

So, I'm pursuing! I've currently given up trying to run it on the ideaworldhq.com site and am instead linking to a separate install on my other domain (chrishutcheson.com). This solution works, but it doesn't explain why, on ideaworldhq.com, the identical configuration doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Quote Reply
Would it be possible that the .cgi is having the unknown tag:url problem because of a conflict with another .cgi? As I said in previous posts the only difference between the two copies of lnks2 is that one resides under the ideaworldhq.com domain, and the other under chrishutcheson.com. Also, I notice that the links.def file defines the database field as "URL" rather than "url". Could this be the cause of the problem, and if so, why would it only do this in ideaworldhq.com?

I do , however, run a number of forms processing, logcount, news and other .cgi's on the ideaworldhq.com site, as well as infopop's UBB (bulletin board), and robmail mailing list software - could any of them be having an impact?

Thanks
Chris Hutcheson

Quote Reply
I had this problem, you should remove from file rate_success.html: <%URL%> and <%Title%>, and all will be OK.

Quote Reply
Actually, what worked in the end was to go to the rate.html template and change <%url%> to <%URL%> which is interesting, considering the setup is working as is on the other site.

Thanks for giving me an idea to try out though! It paid off.

Cheers
Chris

Quote Reply
Elliot, I just wanted to let you know that your point about tages being sensitive to case turned out to be the solution to the problem. Of course there's still the question why it works on the chrishutcheson.com site regardless of the case...

Anyway, thanks for the tip. In the end, it was the solution.

Cheers
Chris Hutcheson

Poster: AnthroRules
Subject: Re: Problems rating links
TAGS are case sensitive based on field names.
You need to use <%URL%> in your rate template files.