Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Error: Can't open for output counter file

Quote Reply
Error: Can't open for output counter file
Hello-

Our webhost moved our site to another server and the permissions on all of the files got all screwed up. I have gone through and reconfigured them and everything works except when someone clicks on a link, they get "Error: Can't open for output counter file. Reason: Permission denied"

I read previous posts that mentioned an index.count file, but I cannot seem to find this anywhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

Quote Reply
Re: Error: Can't open for output counter file In reply to
I have also found that builds are not working. Getting permission denied to index.shtml. I have found that if I change permission on the index.shtml file from 644 to 664 it seems to work, but I will have to change all index.shtml files and it will take forever. On the previous server 644 worked fine. I also noticed that on the old server the file owner for each of the index.shtml files was nobody. On the new server it is jsprague(me).

Could that be part of the problem? How do I fix?

Thanks,

Jason

Quote Reply
I'm having exactly the same problem. I fixed the second problem by going through and re-setting the permissions, which yes is a pain, but fixed it. No fix to the first problem yet, though.

Quote Reply
I went through and changed all index.shtml files to 664 and everything seems to be working fine now...

Thanks...

Quote Reply
Did that deal with the " "Error: Can't open for output counter file. Reason: Permission denied" " problem too?

I'm still getting that, and no one appears to have responded to my post below. :-(

Quote Reply
Make sure that you have a file called link.count in your hits directory. The permission of this file could be either 644 or 666.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks. I appear not to have this file - what should be in it?

I checked on my previous server, where the script was working fine, but there was no link.count there either.

Quote Reply
Check out this useful thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ew=&sb=&vc=1, it not only displays permissions, but also the structure of Links 2.0...

Thomas
http://www.japanreference.com
Quote Reply
Or simply open your README file and READ it.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
I don't see any need for such rudeness.

I have successfully installed this script twice, without any problems. The readme.txt file does NOT mention the link.count file. There was no link.count file provided with the script that I downloaded, and there's no link.count file on my previous server (where the script was running fine). There is no link.count file mentioned in the thread mentioned above, either.

My index.count file, and all other files and directories, are CHMODed as in the instructions.

Is it possible to get my questions answered without a patronizing tone?