Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Internal Server Error

Quote Reply
Internal Server Error
If the solution to this problem has been posted, I have not been able to find it...therefore excuse my post. I just recently (this week) uploaded the free version of Links2 on my shared webhost and everything seems to be working except when I click on the following links in the Admin panel:

Build All
Staggered
Staggered (Auto)

Quick Check
Detailed

When clicking on any of those links, I get the following error message:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator at cgiadmin@yourhostingaccount.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have checked the usual culprits with no change...I have gone over the instructions more than once and cannot get this to work. Any ideas or solutions would be much appreciated. As a side note, there are no entries in the cgi error log that might have helped me.
Quote Reply
Re: [poolmeister] Internal Server Error In reply to
Hi,

Its a bit hard just from that. What happens if you run it from SSH/Telnet?

Code:
cd /path/to/admin
perl nph-build.cgi --all

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Internal Server Error In reply to
Thanks for your response Andy. Unfortunately, I am not technical enough to use the Telnet option and am not even sure you can do it while on a shared webhost?

What is bothersome is that all of the other files seem to be working fine whether they are CHMOD 755 (cgi files) or not. Since my last post I have wondered if the cause might be that the pages directory is located outside the cgi-bin directory? Here is a list of my tree:

public_html/cgi-bin/links
public_html/cgi-gin/links/admin
all admin files

public_html/pages
Cool
Detailed
New
Ratings
Sports (my pages)
Quote Reply
Hi,

Are you on CPanel, Plesk, or another server software? Most of those you are able to look into the Apache logs (and some even have a terminal tool so you can run it from the browser)

The more than likely thing that has happened, is that your server guys have upgraded the server and neglected to re-install one (or more)of the Perl modules

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
OK, found out a couple of things. In my cPanel I found out that the path to Perl is somewhat different than the path noted in the file. I changed it to what it should be according to the cPanel and ended with the same error message. The version of Perl is 5.8.8 in case that could be the cause. I have also found a list of installed perl modules so if you can tell me where to look for the required modules perhaps I will find out that a missing module is the culprit.

Lastly, the error log found on the server shows the following:

20181130T100029: www.domain.com/cgi-bin/weblinks/admin/nph-build.cgi Can't exec /usr/local/bin at /home/users/web/b105/ipw.bonanifa/public_html/cgi-bin/weblinks/admin/nph-build.cgi line 1.
Please note that I have changed the /usr/local/bin to their prescribed /usr/bin/perl as stated online.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
Can't exec /usr/local/bin at

Doesn't look right. It is more likely:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

or

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

Try those and see if that helps.

Cheers

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
As noted in my previous email, the original path as shown in the files that I downloaded is: /usr/local/bin/perl

Clicking on the Build All link with that path resulted in the error message. When I changed it by taking out the "local", I received the same error message. I also tried #!/usr/bin/perl with the same result.

What is baffling is that all of the other cgi files seem to be working fine.
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you can send me FTP over ( andy@ultranerds.co.uk ), I'll take a quick peek for you. It's a bit hard to do here (especially if you don't have SSH)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk