Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

permission denied (with a new twist)

Quote Reply
permission denied (with a new twist)
I know you've seen posts about the following error a million times:

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Unable to build detail page: /home/vc/public_html/results/1.html. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.006001

Don't get mad...this is a new one. Or at least I could not find it searching the forum.

When I got this error, I checked my permissions. I noticed that links.db was 644. So I chmod it to 666. Then I rebuilt. Same error. Then I checked links.db permissions again, and it went back to 644!!! Each time I change it to 666, it keeps going back to 644 after rebuilding.

I cannot figure this out...help, please...
Quote Reply
Re: [ceniti] permission denied (with a new twist) In reply to
What is the folder permission of the folder where your detailed pages are supposed to be built???

It should be 777, like the New, Rating, and Cool folders.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
The links.db problem where it goes back to 644 is known. There is nothing really you can do about it other than putting in a chmod() command in nph-build.cgi. However, it will still work fine with 644 as long as you don't switch between Telnet and browser.

As for the detailed problem. Delete everything in your results folder, and CHMOD the folder to 777.

Be sure to either DELETE or CHMOD the *.html file in the results folder to 666, otherwise you will still get your permission denied problem Wink

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] permission denied (with a new twist) In reply to
Heckler, yes my Results directory that holds my detailed pages is set to 777.

Andy, I deleted all detailed pages out of Results directory. The folder is set to 777, so that's fine. I rebuilt, and it works. But when I look at permissions of the detailed pages that were created in the rebuild, they're all 644. Should they not be 666? I don't have to go in and chmod every new detailed page that is created, do I?
Quote Reply
Hi. Glad that worked so far. You shouldn't need to re-CHMOD the files every time you rebuild. It is a case that the server has built the file, so it has permission to edit it again (at least I think thats what happens Tongue)....it works fine for me without having to hack nph-build.cgi...:)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thanks Andy.

I guess I'll leave them at 644 and hopefully I won't have any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote:

As for the detailed problem. Delete everything in your results folder, and CHMOD the folder to 777.

Duh...like I already recommended...Tongue
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] permission denied (with a new twist) In reply to
Eliot, I was pointing it out like you said, and ALSO that the contents of the folder need their settings changed to 666, or just deleted and let the script build again. I wasn't trying to undermine your answer Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Post deleted by RedRum In reply to