Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
FrontPage
I doubt that FrontPage is the best method to modify the look/feel of the Links pages. Has anyone used FP to do this - or have other suggestions. I am not that good at straight HTML coding, the WYSWIG works better for my mind!
Quote Reply
Re: FrontPage In reply to
Yes I have, just make your pages with FrontPage then when you get it looking right hit the preview tab then veiw source and "cut and paist" the HTML into your site_html.pl file.
Thanks
Joey Bost
jbost@sheltonbbs.com
Quote Reply
Re: FrontPage In reply to
I've found it easiest to pluge site_html.pl into WordPad and paste the HTML from the .pl library into FP98's View HTML section to see what it looks like... adjust to your liking and then paste it back (assuming the section you copied is ONLY HTML and is still highlighted<g>.

Another approach is to create a "template" for each page (home, categories, search, add, etc.) and past the appropriate HTML/.cgi code into the template.

THIS IS NOT for the faint of heart though. I quickly discovered it's almost as much work as just writing the HTML from scratch.

You'll notice looking at site_html.pl which parts of the HTML are actually HTML and which are variables Links uses to fill up the pages with links, categories, etc. I discovered you can just plug these into your table quite easily. The first step is to paste it into FP98's HTML editor BELOW your template's code, go to layout view and cut 'n paste to your heart's content.

OR -- you can wait a few weeks for the beta of Links 1.2 to come out -- I believe it will be template based or site_html.pl based. Pick the version that works best for you. I'd much rather have a utility that takes your format and "plugs in" the Links code to create a site_html.pl from scratch.