Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Error: Can't open for output counter file. Reason: Permission denied

Quote Reply
Hello,

It's been a long time. 2.0 has been working for years but now I'm getting an error on the page that pops up when trying to access a link from one of the links pages. The error is pasted below and in the thread title.

You can see the error when clicking on any of the links on this page: http://www.bigthicketdirectory.com/...tions/Cabin_Rentals/

Any ideas on how I can correct this? I did a recompile of Apache a little bit ago. Could that be it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by:

DouglasC: Apr 16, 2010, 8:45 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [DouglasC] Error: Can't open for output counter file. Reason: Permission denied In reply to
Hi,

Sounds like its probably a permissions error.

Make sure ALL the files in these folders are CHMOD to 666:

admin/data
admin/data/hits
admin/data/rates

If that fails - try CHMODing those 3 folders to 777.

Failing that, I'm not sure.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Error: Can't open for output counter file. Reason: Permission denied In reply to
Thanks Andy but that's not it. Those are at 777. I'm not sure what it could be. Vewy stwange! huh?
Quote Reply
Re: [DouglasC] Error: Can't open for output counter file. Reason: Permission denied In reply to
Mmm weird.

If you wanna email FTP details over, I'll add a bit of debugging in - and see what I can find (won't be til tomorrow though, as I'm off out for a BBQ in a few minutes Cool)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Error: Can't open for output counter file. Reason: Permission denied In reply to
Thanks Andy! I'll e-mail you in just a minute.
Quote Reply
All fixed. You didn't CHMOD the files to 666 in /cgi-bin/links/admin/data/hits (like I said Wink)

Tested it - and all looks like its working fine now.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks. I could've sworn that I did that. Don't get old my friend. I guess I need to eat more brain food. Ha ha!

This program has been a blessing. I've had it installed for at least ten years and it's working so well that I've never had a reason to upgrade it. The only thing I'd like to be able to do that I can't right now is to get rid of dead links en masse and rebuild. Does the new version do that?
Quote Reply
Hi,

haha =)

Quote:
This program has been a blessing. I've had it installed for at least ten years and it's working so well that I've never had a reason to upgrade it. The only thing I'd like to be able to do that I can't right now is to get rid of dead links en masse and rebuild. Does the new version do that?

I don't believe there is a way to do that. You have the "verify" feature - is that no good?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I'm trying it again now. It didn't work too well with a dialup account. I just got satallite. I hate it. Latency. That's what I get for wanting to live in the peace and quiet of the country. Don't even have cable out here. Even that would have been better than satallite.

No, it's doing the same thing. It gets to about 861 links checked and just stops. Waiting, waiting.....
Quote Reply
Have you tried running it via SSH/Telnet?

cd /path/to/admin/folder
perl nph-verify.cgi

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I haven't tried that. I'll give 'er a try now.
Quote Reply
It worked but I can't scroll up far enough to see all of it. Is there a way to run it so I can see the whole thing when it's finished?
Quote Reply
I guess I don't need the whole thing. There's a bad link summary at the bottom.

Thanks for all of your help!
Quote Reply
NP

To save it so you can view all the results, you would just use:

perl ./nph-verify.cgi > log.txt

Then, once its finished - open log.txt, adn should have all the output for ya :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk