Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

umm... spam (someone from this forum)

Quote Reply
umm... spam (someone from this forum)
i felt a little weird getting an email like this... but wondering how many of you got it..

from james@idepot.net and he's like saying like his good at cgi and he does like custom work..

it's obviously spam to me... cause i didn't really ask for it.. especially the fact that i don't need custom cgi programming Wink

jerry
Quote Reply
Re: umm... spam (someone from this forum) In reply to
That's why I edited my signature file and took my email address off...I have been getting a lot of SPAM lately (not only related to cgi programming), so I am the process of taking email addresses off public sites.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
I just did the same. I have 6 domains and I do not post an email address - all contact is done through online forms. Of course, with domains one can always create a email address by using webmaster - e.g., webmaster@yourdomain.com. But this is easy to deal with by editing your mail aliases.

I have a zero tolerance against spam so I report all spammers to their ISP - although many use forged email headers (but one usually can trace them).

What I also I do is to provide a hidden link on my sites contact page to direct email harvesters to a SSI page that spits out a 1000 random nonsensical email addresses.

Dan Smile
Quote Reply
so did you both get this email?

i think i'll just make a new email address...

spam@pdamania.com

and then filter out all the emails that don't have the words "i need help" in it.. Wink

or maybe i should do it the other way around.. Smile would save me SOOO much time..

jerry
Quote Reply
Heh Jerry:

Sorry but soon as I saw the word "spam", I got on my proverbial soapbox - and of course as it is in my nature, off topic if at least a tad Wink

I didn't receive this particular spam but I have received similar spams in the past from people who must have used an email harvester on this board.

Another thing one could do is to provide a different unique email address for each public site. This is especially good if you have a domain in which case you can assign an abbreviation for each one - for example, here it could be gt00@yourdomain.com. Then one can track where their email addresses are being harvested. Not necessarily all that useful but interesting.

Dan Smile
Quote Reply
i could tell this guy didn't use a harvester.. Wink

cause my name was capitalized.. hehe

it said

"Hi Jerry,

i almost never type my name CAPITALIZED!!! Smile

but if he were someone that spent time here.. he would have knew I don't need his Custom CGI programming.. heh

anyways..
jerry