Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

shop/performance/nt/db-size

Quote Reply
shop/performance/nt/db-size
Hi,
I am running a webshop with links and another script. Now I have a problem with the search performance. I read about the other search.cgi script but I am running links on an NT server and so I wanted to ask if it is possible to run it there and second if there are any problems if I delete fields like contact email and contact name and so on. (does this affect the search speed if they are not defined as searchable?)

Another Question: Has anyone made a mod like to build the description field only in the detailed page with the data from a detailed file like it seems to be possible with the headers and footers in categories.

Thanks for any help

Niko
http://www.master-productions.com
Quote Reply
Re: shop/performance/nt/db-size In reply to
first thanks Eliot,

I donīt know what exactly is the difference or if it is a different script at all, I just read about a GREP search.cgi mentioned by widgetz and he said it does only work with unix. The idea I had with the detailed pages was like that: I have descriptions for games sold in an Online-Shop and I have these descriptions only on the detailed page, so I donīt need them in the links.db file. So I thought it might be faster search if I refer to a file including the description for the nph-build and then forget about it for everything else.

Niko
Quote Reply
GREP does not work well on NT (versus UNIX). Also keep in mind that the grep search does speed up your searches, however, I tried installing the grep codes and it didn't work so well for me.

About the detailed pages, to do this you would have to create a mirrored database with the same ID numbers for records. I would recommend using the detail.cgi mod, which is located in some Thread in the LINKS Modification forum. Rather than building detailed pages, this script pulls information from the database and displays it on a separate page.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
found it, and will try

thanks

niko
Quote Reply
What other search script are you referring to??? Taking out fields from the search_fields array would speed up the search engine.

With regards to the detailed view and description...If I understand you correctly, you are using multiple headers and footers for your categories, right? And you want to include these files in the detailed view of the links in your directory, right?

Well, it would be a bit complicated. Give us more details about what you would like to do.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------