Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

security

Quote Reply
security
hello to all of you... even if we are before xmas and people should become nicer... I'm quite scared of hacks and exploits of my links2 database.

could you please tell me all the methods you use which help to prevent this.... I did take care to install links as Gossamer says, by chmodding, password protecting... but I'd really like to know if this is enough for you and what else you do.

thanks a lot ... and merry xmas :)!
chris
Quote Reply
Re: [chris2002] security In reply to
Protecting the admin folder with .htaccess proved to be quite safe for me. Additionally, I recommend you to backup your database and your other Links files as often as possible, just in case... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] security In reply to
hi thomas, thanks for your reply. and what do you think about password protecting (htaccess) also the 'data' directory?
Quote Reply
htaccess'ing your admin directory protects the whole tree below it.

Quote Reply
You might also want to obscure the path to your admin directory, i.e. instead of calling it /cgi-bin/admin/ you can e.g. use /cgi-bin/aslkjhcvzkureyakiu/. That makes it more difficult for people to find your admin/data dirs.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] security In reply to

use /cgi-bin/aslkjhcvzkureyakiu/

Yeah, and that also makes it a lot harder if you have to type out the URL every time if you dont have it bookmarked or use other systems Tongue

IMHO .htaccess is as secure as most users will need.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] security In reply to
Unless you have a copy of wwwhack Tongue