Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

rebuild automaticlly?

Quote Reply
rebuild automaticlly?
This might be a very stupid question, but I'm kind of new here.
I was wondering if there is any way that the pages are rebuilt automaticlly after a certain amount of time to keep the information up to date (e.g. how many clicks and votes were made for each link). Or is the only possibility that I log in the administration area each day to create the pages again?

Quote Reply
Re: rebuild automaticlly? In reply to
Crontab for UNIX and Windows Scheduler for Windows servers. There is a FAQ in the Links: FAQ section in the Resource Center (first place to check before posting questions and can be accessed via the Resource link in the menu bar in the forum pages) that discusses Crontab.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Unfortunetly my web server does not allow telnet access. Are there any workarounds to set up crontab?

Quote Reply
This has also been discussed in the forums. I believe that a script was linked in the Perl/CGI that would set a counter for the script and then execute at a certain time. Although in terms of CPU and memory, Crontab or Scheduler programs are better than setting a script to execute on its own...and the chance of the "counter" screwing up and doing some adverse things to your server is quite possibly.

Suggestion: Find a hosting company that has shell access (telnet) to your account.

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Here is something very simply I came up with to update the pages automaticlly:

creating a file build_pages.cgi in .../links/cgi-bin with only this contents:

#!/usr/bin/perl
system ('/www.server.com/cgi-bin/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi')

calling this file from an I-frame in any html page. I used rate_success.html

<iframe src="http://server.com/cgi-bin/links/cgi-bin/build_pages.cgi" width=0 height=0>
Error building pages
</iframe>

What do you think about this solution? Could this cause any security or server problems?