Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

password protect problem

Quote Reply
password protect problem
For some reason I can't get password protection using .htaccess/.htpasswrd working (something to do with Cobalt). Is there another way to set up pass protection on my admin directory?
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] password protect problem In reply to
Quote:
(something to do with Cobalt)

I don't think it's cobalt

.....Do you get errors?

Last edited by:

RedRum: Sep 20, 2001, 1:54 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] password protect problem In reply to
No, just doesn't work. The web host admin said there was some sort of bug in Cobalt.
Quote Reply
What code are you using in .htaccess? May be you need a AuthPAM thing in it. That causes it to sometimes not work. Do you get anything appearing?

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] password protect problem In reply to
No error appears at all.
Quote Reply
What type of server do you have?

RAQ3, RAQ4..etc?
Quote Reply
RAQ4
Quote Reply
I administer a RAQ4 and .htaccess is supported :)
Quote Reply
All I know is that there is some sort of but that won't let it work where I am so I need an alternative method to password protect my admin directory. Any suggestions, anyone?
Quote Reply
Why won't it work where you are?

If your host has the server set up properly it will work anywhere.

There isn't an alternative method worth using IMO. There are some mods around using cookies and login pages but they don't protect your data.
Quote Reply
From the web host (small web host with select members):

"There is a bug in the cobalt operating system 6 that makes .htaccess inoperable. I have been trying to get in contact with Sun Cobalt tech support as the patches will not install properly. I am awaiting callback from them, but they are notorious for poor support."

hence .htaccess is inoperable and I am looking for a replacement until the patches can be installed.
Quote Reply
Quote:
"There is a bug in the cobalt operating system 6 that makes .htaccess inoperable. I have been trying to get in contact with Sun Cobalt tech support as the patches will not install properly. I am awaiting callback from them, but they are notorious for poor support."

I use version 6 and have never experienced this.

Your host should read the Sun/Cobalt instructions (or contact me Angelic).....you have to install the patches in a certain order otherwise they will get rejected or corrupted. I've always found Cobalt support to be very good. We have had a few problems in the past and when we've called up they've fixed them whilst we've been on the phone, or told us how to fix them.

But anyway...there is no good alternative is what I'm trying to say.