Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

links works fine using IE5 but not Netscape 4.75

Quote Reply
links works fine using IE5 but not Netscape 4.75
hi,

i'm having a major problem .... i've just installed links 2.0 it worked fine first time round. however, the site works fine in IE5 but not Netscape (I've tried 4.72 and 4.75) ... in Netscape it reverts to blahblahsitename.com/links/pages/links.css

but, links.css is not in that directory ( i recall vaguely seeing this file in the offline version) but I think it is a NS related fault ... if i type in thesitename.com it redirects to the proper page index.html (and i just retried it when it said network error / connection refused, i clicked okay it went on to try and load links.css) but then without loading index.html it goes to links.css

now, i've thought long and hard about it ...

1. i could put a links.css with text in it alerting users to the problems with nscape and asking them to use IE
2. it could be something do with the file attributes (though i dotted the is and crossed the ts i.e. followed the instructions to the letter) but what .... i don't know?

the website is uklawstudent.com and it goes to merchant-computers.co.uk/links/pages/index.html

thanks very much in advance for your help

Quote Reply
Re: links works fine using IE5 but not Netscape 4.75 In reply to
apologies to all ... i've fixed the problem (missing links.css -i didn't know netscape was this picky!)
but now i have another problem .... i hate that look using links.css; the old look (yahoo like) was so much nicer ... i have no experience of .css /cascading style sheets so i'm gonna surf this forum / net for ideas but any suggestions gladly received ... thanks again.

Quote Reply
Yes, sometimes style sheets can be more trouble than they're worth. You can go into each template and remove

<link rel=stylesheet href="<%build_root_url%>/links.css" type="text/css" title="<%site_title%> style sheet">

And replace it with normal HTML.

Good Luck!

Quote Reply
I would recommend using CSS in your site. CSS1 is preferable over CSS2, since earlier versions of Netscape comply with CSS1. Only Netscape 6.0 complies with CSS2 codes.

The advantages of CSS are the following:

1) More user-friendly for visually impaired individuals (especially if you use the hover option, but this is only compliant in MIE with the exception of Netscape 6.0).

2) Much easier to edit your sites since you only have to edit one (or two if you use more than one CSS file for different OS and Browsers) rather than having to manually edit text within your site.

For more information about Cascading Style Sheets, go to the following web site:

http://www.w3.org

Regards,

Eliot Lee