Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

links validations not working

Quote Reply
links validations not working
why is my links validation not working .. i have checked with my hosting company and they said that they did not shut down my validation process.. why is the validation page missing it states error page not found .. can u pls explain .. tnx

------------------
Aaron G. Abraham
MIS Operations Executive
MasterWorld Group Of Companies
Quote Reply
Re: links validations not working In reply to
Are you trying to validate a lot of links at once (like over 20 or so)?

Also, make sure that the path to the links.cfg file in the admin.cgi file is set correctly.

Also, make sure that the $db_script_url in the links.cfg file is set appropriately to your admin.cgi file.

Also, make sure that all the path and url variables in the links.cfg file are set properly.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. Smile
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited February 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Eliot ;
My main problem is that i have about 9 megs of links to validate now .. I must break it into small portions to validate all these links .. Is there any other way to validate all these links faster and easier ?? I can only view 10 links at one time ..

------------------
Aaron G. Abraham
MIS Operations Executive
Quote Reply
Uh...9 MGS of Links??? You really need to upgrade to LINKS SQL! The sooner, the better. The standard 2.0 version of LINKS will not support that large of a flat file!

No wonder you are having problems validating links!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
ok now my problem with validation is solved ... but now i have a problem with verify it wont verify more than 40 links .. and mainly nearly all my links are coming back unsuccessful but they are still valid .. how can i verify now ?? .. how am i supposed to delete the links which are dead .. do i have to do it manually one by one ?? cant i just delete all the links which are coming back error ??

------------------
Aaron G. Abraham
MIS Operations Executive
Quote Reply
The problem is not inherent in LINKS...the problem is on your server dealing with CPU usage and memory usage. Quicker method of running the verify process is via telnet...Please search this forum or the Installation forum for command lines to run for executing the nph-verify.cgi file via telnet.

See ya.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
why when i bulid all my old index page keeps on coming up .. i have tried searching for the file where this index page is stored but i cant find it .. it shows as ..
** Creating Home Page . . .
Subcategories: 8
Total Links: 1803
Opening page: /usr/www/masterwo/html/masterwo//index.html
Closing page.
** Done (0 s)!
is there a way where i can make sure that my index file will not be updated this way coz the index file keeps on updating to an old file ... tnx so much Eliot for all your help ..

------------------
Aaron G. Abraham
MIS Operations Executive
Quote Reply
The file that you need to update is home.html in the templates file...THIS is the file that creates your "index.html" file - HOME PAGE.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
a stupid question but i need help ...
how do i telnet to validate all my links at one go intead of going through the cgi process ..
and how do i telnet to verify all my links too ..

------------------
Aaron G. Abraham
MIS Operations Executive
Quote Reply
You cannot use telnet to validate links...but one suggestion is to take the links from the validate.db and paste them into your links.db off-line via a text editor or spreadsheet program. But make sure that you re-number the linksid.txt file when you do this.

To verify your links, you can use Cron to do this (refer to the FAQ in the Resource Center written by Bobsie) or simply use the following command line when you are connected to the cgi-bin directory where your nph-verify.cgi script is located:

Code:
perl nph-verify.cgi > verify.log

This will create a log file that you can read and check links from.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
when editing my links.db offline what type of editor should i use at the moment i am using access ..
my links looks like this :
1|Master-World Travel & Tours|http://www.masterworld.net|25-Mar-1999|Business
the separator at the moment is | but when i use access the separator changes to tab ..
how can i edit these files so that my links.db wont mess up ??/
pls help ..
Quote Reply
You can use either EditPlus or WordPad...or you can use Excel to create an offline copy of your links.db file.

EditPlus can be downloaded at:

www.editplus.com

Also, another suggestion is to use the Automatic Validation code hack, which is posted in the Modification Forum.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
I've done what you told me to do Eliot .. but now i have a different problem ..
i cant build .. everytime i build all it takes such a long time to build and then i get a time out .. i tried telnetting to build too but there is insufficient memory .. is there any other way this can be done .. i have about 30686 links now which is in the links.db
Quote Reply
Again...you need to upgrade to SQL...The standard version of LINKS 2.0 can only handle up to 5,000 links! I mentioned this before!

UPGRADE TO SQL!! MySQL can handle as many records as 75,000 and more depending on the size of the fields. With large fields, MySQL can handle between 25,000 and 40,000 records.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited February 21, 2000).]
Quote Reply
How about modifying the verify script to allow us to verfity a given category? This would mean we can verify bits of our database and also make it work for larger databases.