Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

forbidden pages

Quote Reply
forbidden pages
Hello,

whenever I rebuild the database, the what's new links display a forbidden access message. the script seems to be put 640 permissions on the what's new links

why? Hoe do i fix it?

Cheers,

mic
Quote Reply
Re: [mickle] forbidden pages In reply to
640? Do you mean 644? That is odd.

What server is your web site hosted on?
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] forbidden pages In reply to
hostway. could be 644

mic
Quote Reply
Hostway is your "hosting company", correct? What "Server" (meaning Apache, RedHat, IIS, etc.) is your web site hosted on? Also, what Operating System (like Windows, Linux, Unix, etc.) is that server configured with?
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
>>
Also, what Operating System (like Windows, Linux, Unix, etc.) is that server configured with?
<<

Well it isn't going to be windows if files have 644 permissions Laugh
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] forbidden pages In reply to
You're correct. However, I was giving examples, Paul, since the user definitely did not answer my question the first time.

Got it?
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I just don't see the relevance of asking what OS is being used as it is clearly a *nix based server judging by the permission values being discussed.

mickle:

Links2 doesn't set anything as 640 so without knowing exactly what is going on it is hard to give an answer.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 13, 2002, 12:23 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] forbidden pages In reply to
Well...

i went in to validate another link and rebuilt the links.

After the rebuild, the error was occuring on the What's New page.

Now suddenly, everything is ok and the what's new html files are permissions 777 and can be viewed.

I have no idea what is going on!!

Mic
Quote Reply
ummmmm.

getting forbidden pages again today. What's happening.

The error is 640.

What I find really intriguing is some of today's validted links are posting yesterday's date when you view the What's New area. But not all.

i validated 15 links "A MINUTE AGO" and the What's New stats show 9 of them as yesterdays links and the remaining 6 for today.

Had to manually change the 640 permissions to 777 via ftp

I'm stumped. Guess I'm stuck checking to see if the "What's New" permissions are going to be correct every time I validate
Quote Reply
That is because the ADD DATE field is referenced when you build your directory, and thus if you do not manually edit that field before validating the links, then it will show the date of when the link was submitted to be validated.

Example:

User submits a link on 7.15.02 (15-Jul-2002)
You validate it today - 7.18.02 (18-Jul-2002), the "Add Date" will be the 15th

Got it?
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
CAN ANYONE HELP ME?????

Why are the What's New pages being built with permissions 640, resulting in a forbidden error message when trying to view them?

Mic
Quote Reply
Search the links forums for 777 and also there is an FAQ in the RESOURCE section that will provide a solution for maintaining folder and file permissions.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
If permission is the problem, and you can't figure out any other way, you can add the below lines into your build file, that'll change the permission of the new file to 777 everytime whe you run build!! Don't use this unless ur desperate, since it's very cheap way and forcing the permissions:)

#chmod

chmod (0777, "$build_root_url/New/new.html");

Last edited by:

xpert: Jul 21, 2002, 7:17 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] forbidden pages In reply to
I believe you meant to reply to mickle...Wink
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me