Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

clever person needed!!

Quote Reply
clever person needed!!
I have a large collection of links that I want to put up a my links site.

What this program needs is a little prog that will take a PC based database and transfer it on to a data file that can be uploaded. Doing it by hand is somewhat laborious.

Has someone already come up with this. Am I the only one that would like it.

g/
Quote Reply
Re: clever person needed!! In reply to
Tell you what. Just see if you can export the databse as a csv- or tab-limited file, mail it to me and I'll convert it for you.

Did you set up "Links" on a server anywhere yet or do you need help with that too ?

Georg
Quote Reply
All you really need is to be able to export the PC based database into a CSV-file, ie. each field is enclosed in double quotes, each field is separated from adjacent ones by a comma, each record is on its own line.

Subsequently get a good search and replace utility (eg. "gsar", which is a DOS program) and change all "," to | and delete all "'s at the beginning and end of each line.

If you can export the database as a tab-delimited file, you'll just have to replace the tabs with |'s and wont't need to worry about "'s at the beginning and end of each line.

If you need to change the order of fields, you'll need help from a scripting language like Perl or AWK and write a small script (you could probably get help in the Perl forum). If you can adjust the order of fields upon export of the PC database you won't need this step.

Then just set up the "Links" field definition according to the order of fields in the database and you should be set.

Georg
Quote Reply
Dear Georg,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I am a complete idiot when it comes to this kind of thing and probably couldn't do what you suggest.

I suppose that what I am looking for is a program that could do the whole thing for me.

Thanks anyway

Graham