Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

can Cobalt server handle links and other cgi scripts?

Quote Reply
can Cobalt server handle links and other cgi scripts?
i'm looking for a dedicated server and at first i was looking at a linux but a friend of mine sugested cobalt but it seems to be not powerfull enough to handle links, webadverts and other cgi scripts. the site gets 1/2 million views a month and growing.
is thre a differnce between installing links and other cgi scripts on linux and installing links on coblat?
Quote Reply
Re: can Cobalt server handle links and other cgi scripts? In reply to
yes i know linux is more flexible but require some knowledge which i do not have. my friend told me i need a lot of reading to understand it.
can i install LWP module on cobalt
how about Mysql? i intend to upgrade to links SQL in the future.
elliot , did you upgrade to links SQL?
thanks
Quote Reply
another thing:
can you run cgi scripts from any directory using cobalt server?
Quote Reply
Yes...it can..Read the Cobalt FAQ in the Resource Center.

Although Linux is a more flexible server to configure and use.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply

Quote:
elliot , did you upgrade to links SQL?

Not fully yet...I am in the process of re-writing the 30 official mods, 10 code hacks, and 5 custom mods before I upgrade.

Quote:
can you run cgi scripts from any directory using cobalt server?

Depends on how you configure it. Yes, you can execute cgi scripts in any directory if you configure it properly.

In terms of learning curves, the curve is steeper initially for Linux, but becomes easier over time in terms of managing it versus Cobalt, which the curve is lower at the beginning, but very steep to manage the server.

Kind of like mountain biking...If you prefer steep hills at the beginning of the trail, with coasting at the end, then Linux is for you. If you prefer coasting at the beginning with uphill rides at the end, then Cobalt is for you.

Matter of preference.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Thought I could offer some input on this as well.

I was considering purchasing a Cobalt RaQ3i and running sql but wasn't sure whether I should or not so I asked Alex and associates.

Hi Wesley,

MY QUESTIONS
comments: I've been working on a business plan to obtain one of these servers on which I would like to run the SQL version of links.

Curious, if you have any comments on this particular server and the operation of your software on it.

I understand there were problems on the raq2's and nph scripts but raq3's
operate on a different chip. So I'm thinking the problem no longer exists.

Have you set up SQL on a Cobalt Raq 3i yet, Success? Failure?

REPLY:
The problem with nph- scripts is with Cobalt's cgi wrapper. I don't believe it is fixed on raq3's, but it is a relatively minor issue (it just means you can't see the output from building and verifying in real-time).

Links SQL will work fine on a Raq3.

My only suggestion, is if you want the top in performance and use mod_perl, is to not use cobalt raq's as they tend to not be flexible
enough to allow mod_perl (the web based system is tightly tied to the
web server).

MORE INFO
So I've bascially decided to purchase another type of server since Links SQL will provide the main content for my site.

If you are considering purchasing your own server, I've been investigating or doing comparisons of puchasing and co-location versus dedicated. I don't know for me I'just like the idea of owning one!
Initial costs are higher of course (plus insurance) I'm not sure when the prices even out I haven't really looked into that.

Well just to give you a suggestion for a great server to buy....(still have inquire about mod_perl operation on this, I'm sure it works fine but I need reassurance)

DELL PowerApp.web 100 w/Red Hat Linux & 600MHz Intel Pentium III 128MB RAM w/ 1 - 9GB 7,200 RPM SCSI Hard Drive priced at $2,548.00 US

http://commerce.us.dell.com/...04&keycode=6W400

Wesley

[This message has been edited by wesley (edited May 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by wesley (edited May 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
I have a cobalt sever a RAQ1, links works fine with it but you have to edit a few files because links prints both unix and NT headers, the cobalt will reject the NT headers so you have to remove them from the scripts. The fix for this is in the unix installation forum. The mod perl issue, my RAQ1 is using a 155 mhzMIPS microproccesor
but I believe the RAQ3 is using an intel and mod perl should work ok. The reason there is a problem with the mips is it is a special port of linux and not as much stuff for it, although cobalt does have a lot of upgrade RPMS on their site for MIPS like MY sql, php,etc. As far as capacity my RAQ1 only has 32mb ram and it will handle 150,000 static web page requests per day. The cobalt is the easiest server to administer by a mile, it is done through an interface just like windows you don't have to know anything about unix hardly to run it you just fill in the blanks and it does all the internal mysteries of unix for you. Even adding cnames, aliases and stuff like that is fill in a form and click enter. Even the mx records are fill in the blanks and click save. LWP is easy to istall on a cobalt it has a built in CPAN installer it installs CPAN modules automaticaly
Cobalt servers run LINUX
------------------

[This message has been edited by bobstennett (edited May 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
do you recomend getting 64ram or 128 ram?

128, of course.

The more RAM, the better.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
thanks bob, i decided to get a raq3
do you recomend getting 64ram or 128 ram?
of course 128 is better but it's also more expensive, is it worth it? do i really need 128 ram? i run links, banner exchange and other cgi scripts and i get over 1/2 million views a month.
thanks for your help eliot and wesley. i really do not have time to learn linux well
Quote Reply
I recomend buying 256k ram if you can afford it, on unix the ram means more than the cpu speed. The more ram you have the more cgi programs you can handle. If I would have known more when I bought my RAQ1 I would have bought 256k for it. If you can't afford 256k ram now you can always add it later, Im going to buy more ram for mine when my server load get higher. I am only running 4 web sites on mine, I've had people that wanted to buy virtual space on mine but I don't want to get involved doing that because then I would be responsible to them for their web sites. I have my server co-located at a local ISP hooked to his t3 router, he charges me $99.00 per month which I think resonable, plus he has good service and I can call them on the phone and actually talk to someone.

------------------

[This message has been edited by bobstennett (edited May 12, 2000).]
Quote Reply
$99 is a good rate. I've seen double that and higher.

I've thought about getting a RaQ 3i, too. I'd be running several Links sites (both Links 2.0 and SQL) and several sites using shopping carts.

I know about the friendly interface(s), but, can anyone tell me whether you can get into the guts of the operating system and install stuff if needed? I'm worried that being restricted to whatever I can do through the interface might cause problems down the road, and this is gonna be a big expense for me.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Depends on the hosting company's security. Some companies offer access to Cobalt and other servers (except NT) in their networks via secure telnet client applications. Some companies deny all access other than the web browser for administration of your account.

I would recommend contacting the hosting company and ask them.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I'm in the midst of switching around a few things, and in the long run a dedicated server is gonna be the way to go. I think it's going to be a Linux box.

Thanks, AnthroRules. Smile

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I think it's going to be a Linux box.
Most are.

Regards,

Eliot Lee