Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

broken pipe again

Quote Reply
broken pipe again
i moved the site to a dedicated cobalt server so i can verify links on a regular basis but i still disconeted in the middle of the telnet (broken pipe). i thought my old isp stops but now i have adedicated server and i still get the same error
is it my isp fault or is it my fault. what should i tell my new isp to do so i can verify links.
what's the reason for broken pipe problem
*** i'm using my ip# to verify links so i'm wondering somehow in the script it's still using my old isp to verify links and that's why i'm geting broken pipe

Quote Reply
Re: broken pipe again In reply to
In Reply To:
i'm using my ip# to verify links so i'm wondering somehow in the script it's still using my old isp to verify links and that's why i'm geting broken pipe
Where are you using your IP address? I really don't think that should be a problem. Are these external links you are verifying?? Another Links user indicated the same problem with the verification script hanging on a certain IP address in the database.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
i'm sorry i did not explain it well.
my domain still with my old isp so my using an ip# instead of my domain. i'm verifying external links in my links data.

so i'll never be able to verify all links? i'll keep gettting broken pipe even with the new server and telnet?

with my old isp, i was able to verify all links when ever theer is a holiday like christmas

Quote Reply
I don't understand the problem...

If you have the Validate.pm file and the LWP modules located in the same directory where your nph-verify.cgi is located and you have applied all the necessary changes for NPH files (as outlined in the Cobalt FAQ in the Resource Center), then the verification script should work no matter if you are using an IP address or domain address in your links.cfg file.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
thanks eliot, i did not know i have to make changes to nph files for cobalt. i'll go read it now

Quote Reply
i can not find the page you are talking about. could you please give me the url. thanks

Quote Reply
Am I THE ONLY one who can find relevant links in the RESOURCE CENTER and relevant Threads in the Forums!!! Mad

GO HERE: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...es/Detailed/941.html

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
thanks, now i can build using the browser. you also said lwp must be inside the same dir.
i really do not know where lwp as i did not install it, it came with the server.
when i asked cobalt about lwp on raq3 here is what they said:
Thank you for contacting Cobalt Network. Raq3 by default has perl5.005 and LWP
modules are available at the location of /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/LWP
We dont have any package available for LWP.

so is this okay or do i have to install LWP in links dir?
will the changes i made to verify.cgi fix the broken pipe problem?
i was able to verify using telnet before but i got broken pipe like i said.
thanks again eliot!

Quote Reply
The LWP package I am refering to is the ONE that came with LINKS. Wink

You need to use this LWP package to make the nph-verify.cgi script work. It needs to be uploaded in the same directory where your nph-verify.cgi file resides. In addition, you need to have the Validate.pm file (that came with LINKS, too) in the same directory where your nph-verify.cgi file resides.

Yes...if you have these files in the directory where your nph-verify.cgi file is and if you have made the appropriate changes to the nph-verify.cgi, then it should work.

You're welcome and good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
i did upload the lwp dir that came with links2 and chmod it to 777.
the instruction does not say anything about the permision. did i do i right? or do i need to change the permission on it. thanks

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
i did upload the lwp dir that came with links2 and chmod it to 777.
WRONG permission...It needs to be set to 755 (drwxr-xr-x).

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
so lwp dir should 755 and all the files and subdir inside should be chmod it to 755?
how about the HTML dir? should i chmod it to 755 and all it's files?
could this be the reason why i'm geting broken pipe?

Quote Reply
Check the Links 2.0 README file....Permissions are well written for files and directories. Also, there are Threads in the Links 2.0 Installation Forum-UNIX that list the complete files and directory permissions.

In Reply To:
could this be the reason why i'm geting broken pipe?
Probably....

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
this is what read me file says:
chmod 755 (-rwxr-xr-x) on all .cgi files.
chmod 666 (-rw-rw-rw-) on all files in the data directory.
chmod 666 (-rw-rw-rw-) on all your template files (if using the online editor).
chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) on the hits directory
chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) on the ratings directory
chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) on the directory where Links pages will be created.

so ther is nothing about lwp dir, also the thread you are talking about is written by bobie along time ago, i remmeber it very well but it does not mention anything about lwp dir

Quote Reply
UGH! All the files within the LWP directory need to be 644 (rw-r--r--). The sub-directories (like Protocol) need to be 755 (drwxr-xr-x).

Good luck figuring this out.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
you said permissiion is probably the reason for the broken pipe.

what other reasons for it?
i always thought myhosting company stopped it because it's too much load for the server but now i have my own. is it possible the conection between my isp and my server is the problem?

anyone had this problem and managed to fix it?

Quote Reply
anyone fine a solution to this problem?
anyone knows what causes this to happen

Quote Reply
info from cobalt In reply to
i asked cobalt about the broken pipe problem and here is what they have to say about it:
The broken pipe error is given when the telnet session is stopped unexpectedly.

Could the program that you are running be resetting the telnet server?

i never questioned alex software before but it sounds like the program is not running properly.
i never had a problem with links1.1 verifying links and it was alot faster.
is it possible alex made a mistake with this one and fixed it with link sql?
i know you can verify certain links with sql version.
not finding a solution to this problem is no big deal. as soon as i install mysql on the new server, i'm switching to linksql (about 2-3 months)