Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

all links lost

Quote Reply
all links lost
i have just vivited my site to find that all my links have been lost. the categories are still there but the sites are missing. when ever i click build it says "bvacking up database" is there a backup that i can use or am i back to square one? over 1000 sites have been delited is this a hacker or is this a fault?

clickforchoice.com a new up and coming web directory and portal
Quote Reply
Re: all links lost In reply to
Depending on the size of your links.db file, it could've been deleted by your host because it may exceed file size limits...that is the problem with flat file systems like Links 2.0.

This can also be caused if you do not have flocking enabled...make sure that you have $db_use_flock set to 1 (to turn on) in your links.cfg file.

What you need to do is use one of your links.db backup files in the backup folder. Simply move the most recent links.db into your data folder.

To prevent this from happening in the future, I would check with your hosting company's use policy and see if they have file size restrictions...if they do and you anticipate increasing the size of the links.db in the future, you might want to consider using LINKS SQL...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Also check with your web host about how much of your disk quota (amount of diskspace allotted to your account) you have used and how much remains. A common reason why files are reduced to zero bytes on virtually hosted sites is that they have exceeded their disk quota.

Dan Cool

LotusLand
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Top Ranked City in World for Quality of Life
Quote Reply
thanks Eliot.
As you can probaly tell from my previous posts i am a complete newbie to this and all other scripts. i took my most recent backup link.db file and downladed it to my computer took the date from ot so it was just link.dm and uploaded it to the datadirectory so as to over write the empty link.db file this didnt work. i took a look at the old link.db file to find that it still had 118 links on it so i assumed that the last backup would have been of the smaller links.db i went back a few days and foind a much larger list of links so i used this slightly older version of links.db so i probaly only lost a handfull of sites that i had added in the past few days. it seams strange though that it left some sites in the db. i also checked flock and there was a "1" to set to on.
thanks for the help...my site is now up and running again.:)

Quote Reply
You're welcome.

As dan and I both mentioned, you should check your disk quota and also your file size limit to make sure that you won't into problems like this in the future...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
My current host is f2s... i loged on at their site and checked on quota available and quota used. my quota used is 8392 available is 11709 total quota is 200000

i should be ok for a while... (i hope).