Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

admin.cgi is not possible protect in linux?

Quote Reply
admin.cgi is not possible protect in linux?
I'm surprised, my server prover, say me:

Is not possible protect the file admin.cgi into the dir cgi-bin. Is a bug linux or what?

Anyone solution for this?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: admin.cgi is not possible protect in linux? In reply to
No...not a bug...Just a system policy that they have implemented.

To password protect it...here are two suggestions:

1) Put the admin.cgi file outside of the /cgi-bin/ in a directory that can be password protected (and if your service provider allows you to execute .cgi and .pl files outside of the /cgi-bin/ directory).

2) If that doesn't work...then use the Admin Mod that Widgetz wrote and posted in the Modification Forum.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Where is the admin mod modification by Widget in modification forum ?

I no see it

Thanks
Quote Reply
It is there...Search for widgetz in the user field in the search form and select LINKS Modification for the Forum!

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Where ? what name is ?

I no see it !!!!!!!

I see only 50 results, and none of admin.cgi of widget.

W!!!H!!!E!!!R!!!!E or I'm stupid ?

------------------
Quote Reply
Keep searching. Use widgetz in the User Name field in the Search Form.

Also, one other helpful suggestion...Choose the In the Last Year option in the drop-down menu in the Modification Forum Home Page. Then do a Find in Page search for widgetz.

You should find it!!!!

You have been a registered user in these Forums since 4/99 and you still cannot find relevant Threads...that is not good. Frown

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
easy password protection instruction:
goto Gossamer Threads resouse center. Click on links modifications. Look for file name "password" . fill out the form at the bottom. It creates an encoded .htpasswd & .htaccess file coding with instructions. copy and paste to a text editor. set up your files and go.

------------------
spirits
Quote Reply
Good advice if you have access to .htaccess or are allowed to password protect your directory. The problem that yusep is addressing is that his hosting company does not allow .htaccess password protection.

And since he cannot execute .cgi scripts outside of his /cgi-bin/ directory, he is stuck...so the solution to this IF you are not allowed to use .htaccess password protection is login process embedded in the admin.cgi script, which Widgetz has written a Mod for!

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
1) Put the admin.cgi file outside of the /cgi-bin/ in a directory that can be password protected (and if your service provider allows you to execute .cgi and .pl files outside of the /cgi-bin/ directory).

Finally, I decide to probe this first solution, my dude is about the paths and the files and the changes in the admin.cfg and the location of files.

For example if I put the admin.cgi in the directory /cgis. I need create a /cgis/data, /cgis/admin/ etc, etc, and put the all files cgi. pl. templates etc to directory cgis ????

2) If that doesn't work...then use the Admin Mod that Widgetz wrote and posted in the Modification Forum.

This second form is more complication for my, and i have my dudes to modify the files now run ok all.