Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

add.cgi problems

Quote Reply
add.cgi problems
I have setup my database and it works in adding records as long as the record is added from the Admin detail. It does not work when adding using the form from within the links view. This means that nobody is able to add content to my database, except myself. Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Dennis
http://www.accessgenealogy.com/
Quote Reply
Re: add.cgi problems In reply to
What Error messages do you receive when you try to execute the add.cgi file? Do you get a blank screen? If so, it means that you have malformed table anchors in your add.html, add_error.html, and add_success.html template files.

Please post the EXACT error messages you receive.

Be more specific.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Hi Eliot,

I don't get an error message at all. I just get bounced back to a blank add.cgi form (although it's the generic version of the form, and not the form specific to the category). It doesn't bounce me to either the add_error or add_success pages.

You can actually try the form out by going to:

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/links/pages/

And trying to fill out the form with anything. The program fails to add to the validate database as well (I checked).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Dennis
Quote Reply
Well, the Error Message I get is an Internal Server Error (500), which is the type of Error I requested before.

Wink

Check the following with your add.cgi file:

1) Perl Path in the first line of the file is correct.

2) Make sure that all the "required" paths to files are correct.

3) Make sure you have uploaded the file in ASCII mode.

4) Make sure that you change permissions of the file to 755 (rwx-r-x-r-x).

If you are still have problems, please save your add.cgi as a text file, upload it to your server in a PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE WEB Directory, and post the URL to the text file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Ok... now I look like a scatter-brain... :-)

You must have been accessing the database while I was working on it. Your first message made me go and look at the add.html file instead of add.cgi. I was using the yahoo style add.html so I reloaded the basic add.html that came with Links 2, and it worked. I then took a careful look at the yahoo and regular forms within the add.html file, and found that the only difference between the forms, was that the Yahoo form was nested within a table. When I commented out the table, it worked. I removed the table permanently and the program now works. It's obvious to me, that sometime along the way I must have nested the form into another table, causing the problem.

I DO appreciate the time you took to look at this for me, even if you might feel like I gave you the run around...